Author Topic: Trans-Am cheating fact or fiction ???  (Read 25041 times)

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
Re: Trans-Am cheating fact or fiction ???
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2014, 04:19:46 AM »
Reading David Tom's Trans-Am book, it does not sound like the body that was dug out of the snow bank when he bought it was savable. That there are no pictures of a car when he showed up to buy it, just a handful of parts, is very telling to me. I would not personally pay a million or more for a car like that but maybe somebody would. Just my 2 cents worth...

:)..  not even if I HAD a million to pay..  :)
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

maroman

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2014, 01:20:15 PM »
Reading David Tom's Trans-Am book, it does not sound like the body that was dug out of the snow bank when he bought it was savable. That there are no pictures of a car when he showed up to buy it, just a handful of parts, is very telling to me. I would not personally pay a million or more for a car like that but maybe somebody would. Just my 2 cents worth...
Reality always ruins a good story!!
Doug  '67 RS/SS 396 auto I know the car since new

JoeC

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2014, 11:31:54 AM »
there was more then one Smokey Yunick 1st gen Camaro. They kind of blend the history together so it hard to tell what that car is or was

group/7

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2014, 07:22:40 PM »
I know that smokey had three '68 ? bodied camaros at bonneville to break records. I believe two were 302's & one was a 396. from what I understood in the article these were slightly modified Z'ders to start. I couldn't gather from the article if any of them were the car he raced at daytona & sebring. jon has posted scans of that issue of popular science, january '68 here in one of the threads.

group/7 in canada

beighes

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2014, 12:49:10 AM »
From my time crewing on A-Sedan / GT1 beasties, I seem to  remember something about 1967 T/A cars being weighed with a  spare tyre.  The story was, Penske's were filled with water.  Anyone confirm that? 
I can draw a mouse with a pencil, but I can't draw a pencil with a mouse!

satman

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2014, 02:10:09 AM »
Trans-Am cars did not run with spare tires but rumor has it that some teams would change to tires that were filled with water for post race inspection and apparently George Follmer had a helmet full of lead that a crewman would substitute for the real one at the end of the race ...

AL

beighes

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2014, 07:52:09 PM »
Yes, spares were not fitted for the race.  The story I heard was, the spares were included in the post race weigh in.  Again, this is just a vague memory............or imagined conversation. 
I can draw a mouse with a pencil, but I can't draw a pencil with a mouse!

satman

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2014, 12:13:45 AM »
We never made it to post race inspection but I am fairly sure spare tires would not have been part of the process.

AL

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2014, 01:46:11 PM »
We never made it to post race inspection but I am fairly sure spare tires would not have been part of the process.

AL

I agree with you on this, Al.
Jon Mello
CRG

anything