Author Topic: Under hood light wire retainers (clips)  (Read 6515 times)

tmodel66

• View Profile
Under hood light wire retainers (clips)
« on: December 29, 2011, 05:59:02 PM »
The new light assembly didn't come with wire retainers. Can someone post a picture of a clip so I know what to look for in the bone yard. I can't find any parts house that sells them.
Daniel  
'69 SS 350/4 speed  Fathom Green--POP

IZRSSS

Re: Under hood light wire retainers (clips)
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 12:41:06 AM »
Daniel - they are the same clips used for RPO U25. I purchased the complete assembly from HBC. However, I will not put those same clips in the engine bay's fender because they scratch the HE** out of the paint.

http://www.heartbeatcitycamaro.com/store/product/21148/Camaro-Trunk-harness-clip-set-%283%29-67-68-69/

Pics included...

IZRSSS

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 12:43:12 AM »

IZRSSS

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 12:49:35 AM »

tmodel66

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 01:21:03 AM »
The only reason I thought they were different is they have a different part number in AIM. Thanks for the pics.
Daniel  

IZRSSS

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 01:25:11 AM »
Hmmm...you might be onto something. It might be worth a call to HBC to see if they know anything about it. I might still use them if they aren't as wicked as the other ones. Keep me posted.

tmodel66

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2011, 02:03:56 AM »
That's what I want to find out. Maybe they are coated with something but I can't find any or pictures to look at either.
Daniel  

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2011, 01:20:08 PM »
The guys in the shop I use have a thin blade putty knife they use to put on clips and not scratch the paint.
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

IZRSSS

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2011, 03:10:50 PM »
There must be a gazillion clips listed in the 69 AIM. I thought I could cross reference it with another component. Strange how the underhood light is the only one that uses that part numbered clip. I also checked every supplier I could think of and again...goose egg. Could it be a typo  ???

Here's a guy on eBay that claims he's selling the original components. Problem is, he only has one clip and according to the AIM it takes two. I thought I would mention it because there are amazing similarities between his clip and the ones for the trunk. I'll shoot him an email to see if he has any leads or can shed some light on the topic.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-nos-CHEVY-GM-underhood-Light-Lamp-trunk-original-Automobile-accessory-/120835641963?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1969%7CModel%3ACamaro&vxp=mtr&hash=item1c225d926b

tmodel66

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2011, 04:10:06 PM »
There must be a gazillion clips listed in the 69 AIM. I thought I could cross reference it with another component. Strange how the underhood light is the only one that uses that part numbered clip. I also checked every supplier I could think of and again...goose egg. Could it be a typo  ???

This is the reason I ask for help. Nobody seems to have any and I could find any thing to match because I don't know what they look like. Thanks for helping with this search Marty. I'm looking on my end too. Typo maybe? But I doubt it since the AIM is spot on every where else. This is from memory but my painter said he believes these clips were wider than trunk light clips and may be dipped in rubber like the clips on the front park light harness clips that go in the bumper arms. 

Daniel  

tmodel66

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2011, 04:14:36 PM »

Here's a guy on eBay that claims he's selling the original components. Problem is, he only has one clip and according to the AIM it takes two. I thought I would mention it because there are amazing similarities between his clip and the ones for the trunk. I'll shoot him an email to see if he has any leads or can shed some light on the topic.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-nos-CHEVY-GM-underhood-Light-Lamp-trunk-original-Automobile-accessory-/120835641963?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1969%7CModel%3ACamaro&vxp=mtr&hash=item1c225d926b

That's a service item sold across the counter. Look at the pigtail on the wiring harness. Way too short for assembly line product. That's why there is only one clip. Look in the service manual and it shows it.
Daniel  

IZRSSS

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2011, 04:39:07 PM »
Have you tried looking for a fiber optic ash tray light yet (it's also part of the RPO ZJ9 pkg)  ???. Their everywhere for 67 & 68 but nothing for 69. If you think this clip is tough you ain't seen nothin yet. (oh,if you happen to find one... PM me  ;D)

BTW...

IZRSSS

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2011, 04:51:25 PM »
Here's the sellers response...

Hi, I have 1 more clip, but it goes with the next light set. I found this on Ebay 390281417997, this guy has been selling nos hardware for somtime and has a large assortment of clips. These are getting hard to find as I believe they were also used on the firewall and for windshield washer lines too. If you can't find one let me know, I might be willing to sneak it away from the next light and sell it without, I hate to do this but I think you are a repeat customer. Have you bought from me before? Thanks.

- hotrodlab68

Like you mentioned...their service items. So much for this contact...

tmodel66

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2011, 05:09:35 PM »
Have you tried looking for a fiber optic ash tray light yet (it's also part of the RPO ZJ9 pkg)  ???. Their everywhere for 67 & 68 but nothing for 69. If you think this clip is tough you ain't seen nothin yet. (oh,if you happen to find one... PM me  ;D)

BTW...
No problem about the  answer to PM. I wish I could get in on the eatin' part of that deal. Nice catch !! 

New PM sent Marty.
Daniel  

anything