Author Topic: Spark plug wire sets?  (Read 7114 times)

discobiscuit

• View Profile
Spark plug wire sets?
« on: December 29, 2011, 02:56:45 PM »
I'm looking to replace the old spark plug wires on my 67 with a 327 and have a few questions. 

1) Why are some spark plug wires unassembled?
2) Would somelike me be able to assemble those sets?
3) What tool(s)would I need to assemble spark plug wires?
4) Currently I have 7mm wires.  Is 8mm or 8.5mm better?
5) Are universal wires acceptable?

I realize these are remedial questions and appreciate any response.

I discovered the Summit & Jegs catalog over the Christmas holiday and now have a newly found excitement for my restoration project.  The past few years I've neglected my baby but now I'm so laser focused with these two catalogs I can't put them down.  Guess this is my new addiction for now. 

mickeystoys69RSSS

• View Profile
Re: Spark plug wire sets?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 03:38:09 PM »
I am not sure about item #1 but my thought is that some kits allow you to custom make your own so the lengths of wire are how you want for looks or for different applications if the car is a complete custom.
I think you should be able to assemble them yourself I have done some of my own before
You would need a crimping tool and or be able to strip the end of the wires if they are not already
8mm or 8.5mm is better if you have higher voltage ignition systems if your ignition is stock then any of those choice would be OK. If you plan on upgrading the ignition/coil in the future I would go with the 8mm if you are not concerned with originality
Your last question depends on weather or not you are concerned with originality or not? If not then they are OK.

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 05:37:29 PM »
To me, nothing looks worse than the technicolor-spaghetti tangle of "universal" plug wires I see regularly on cars at shows; some too long, some too short, no managed routing to speak of, wires hanging/looping everywhere and frying on headers and exhaust manifolds. Spend a few bucks for the correct stripping/crimping tool and make your own so they look like they belong there.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

srode

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 09:05:53 PM »
I used MSD 8 MM wires on my car and they came with the crimping tool.  Take your time routing them and you can have a very nice looking set up.  The crimping tool is easy to use.  The end of the terminal clamps on the insulation, and there's a separate set of tabs on the terminal that pinch the core for the connection.  Stripping the wire is what you have to be careful with.   I left about a 1/4 inch longer on each wire than I thought I needed just to make sure I ended up with enough in the event I needed to re-strip a wire because of nicking the core.   My only pick on the MSD wires is they don't come these MSD wires is they weren't offered in black that I could find.  Blue with gray boots is what I ended up using. 
Steve - 02D Z11 and a Plain Jane hardtop

jacmac

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 12:39:36 AM »
Does anyone make a kit for original type wires that I can buy? I really neeed to do something about mine,there not to bad but some are a little short!That way Ill make my own!!Those wires are really bothering me
69 Z10,69 ss396Chevelle, 71 Corvette

mickeystoys69RSSS

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2011, 03:19:21 AM »
If you get a universal kit you can cut them to the length you want.

IZRSSS

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2011, 12:22:47 PM »
Jack - have you tried HBC. Not sure how accurate these are but they claim they're are date coded. Im not sure why you can't copy paste each page on their website  :-\, so you'll have to enter "spark plug wires" in the search box...

Happy New Years Buddy!

http://www.heartbeatcitycamaro.com/store/search.asp

jacmac

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2011, 12:08:39 AM »
I dont really care if thier date coded as long as they look some what original.Would HB have a universal kit?

jacmac

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2011, 12:11:43 AM »
I rather make my own,than buy another set already made.Im sure, Ill have the same problem I have now!

IZRSSS

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2011, 01:19:34 AM »
I'd probably give them a buzz...give them the measurements you need and go from there.

srode

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2011, 02:34:40 AM »
I don't see any universal sets on their webpage but you never know until you ask.  They may have suggestions anyway.  Of course you can always buy 2 sets and shorten longer ones to fit you needs.  More expensive but it would work.

paulsstuff

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2011, 03:22:31 AM »
I used this wire set from MSD, in black. It does look a lot better when you route the wires the way you want them and can cut them to the right length. In my case I used chrome wire looms that run along the valve covers, keeping the wires away from the headers and a far neater finished look. I bought my parts locally but they are the same part # as Summit. High quality wires. I gapped the plugs at .045 and the engine runs great, though I hear some others have theirs gapped at .060

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MSD-31193/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PRO-141-639/

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2011, 05:25:11 PM »
This is the 383 I built for my tube-frame Grand Sport replica 16 years ago; used a 7mm MSD universal plug wire set and cut each wire to exactly the length I needed, with positive routing and looms. This is the way I like to see them done for a modified car. The Lectric Limited or M&H custom-fit dated reproduction wire sets work fine on a stock restored Camaro (but not so well on Corvettes).
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

srode

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2011, 06:26:43 PM »
These would give you a pretty stock look with the exception of the gray ends at the distibutor and plugs, 8MM

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MSD-5552/

Here's a set with black terminals each end that you cut to length and assemble - 7mm

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PNX-708190/

Both work with HEI Caps if that's what you are using.