Author Topic: What should i expect to pay to have a pair of decent taillamp bezels rechromed?  (Read 8084 times)

ogbean

• View Profile
    • MySpace
I have a pair of decet tail light bezels for a standars 68  and they have slight chrome flaking and pitting.... ive never had any thing rechromed so i was just wondering about how much it would cost... i want them to be nice... but not "show" i want the finish to be as origional... thanks in advance... david
David

1968 L30 4spd ???, Rally Green, White Vinyl Top, Ivory Houndstooth Interior (716), D55 console, D91 Stripe

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
I was with a Camaro parts business for 15 years and in that time never saw rechromed 68 bezels that looked good. The process for stripping the chrome will uncover more pitting. Unless someone carefully repairs them prior to re-chroming they will not look anything like new.
Learning more and more about less and less...

dutch

• Documented Canadian 1968 Z/28
    • View Profile
I have a pair of decet tail light bezels for a standars 68 and they have slight chrome flaking and pitting.... ive never had any thing rechromed so i was just wondering about how much it would cost... i want them to be nice... but not "show" i want the finish to be as origional... thanks in advance... david

I know Moroso makes nice units that are supposed to be excellent quality for repops both fit and quality-wise - but I haven't personally seen any in person. They were sold through Jegs and even Summit plus I've seen them advertised in many Chevy car mags as well. If I am not mistaken they go for a little over $100 each - which isn't bad and I would be surprised if you could even get good original ones rechromed in a quality manner for much less than that. Anyone else have any experience with these repops and/or whether $100 per, would cover redoing originals - that is IF anyone could find ones that warranted the work?  - Randy

ogbean

• View Profile
    • MySpace
in the ricks catalog it says the moroso ones were discontinued due to quality concerns... besides that i want origionals on my car... thanks so far... keep it coming!
David

1968 L30 4spd ???, Rally Green, White Vinyl Top, Ivory Houndstooth Interior (716), D55 console, D91 Stripe

jeff68

• View Profile
The 68 tail light bezels are a real nightmare to restore.  The pot metal can still do some weird stuff after they are repaired and re-plated, even if all precautions are taken.  I had a decent original set done for $1000, but they did not come out absolutely perfect.  The shop said that they would need to charge at least $1500 to do another set, if they would even do them at all.  Like I said, you can end up with a few tiny outgasing bubbles here and there, and keeping the fine details is extremely difficult.

I am actually looking into getting the new CHQ reproductions that are supposedly made with new tooling in 2005.  I really want originals on my car, but the few tiny imperfections in my restored bezels really bother me.
68 L30/M20 Convertible, Ash Gold
N10, F41, N34, Z21, ZJ9, Z87, D55, G80, P01, U17

deejaygee

• View Profile
I sent out the originals from my 67 for replating. Cost $500 and I ended up selling them at a swap meet for $40 because of the pitting of the pot metal where the black paint goes. Found another pair of cores and had them plated for $250 this time and they look really good.

So bottom line is expect to pay at least a couple of hundred dollars for plating but the work will only be as good as the cores you start with.

The new reproduction units look very good but they're easy to identify when the trunk is open.

68rsssrag

• View Profile
The Morosos are excellent repros and far better than anything i've seen from others and GM. Get them if you can. They are a bit more expensive but worth it. The only issue is that they use a cheaper spin nut on a smaller OD post than the originals so the fasteners give them away once you are in the trunk. Don't try to use other fasteners like a flange nut since the self cutting thread needs to be 11 or so per inch on a 1/4" post to work or you break off the post. You can make special nuts but that's another story.

Rechroming pot metal is an art and very costly due to the labour involved....you drill each pit and fill with solder, polish and refill.....If the parts are unpitted count on $500 to 600 the pair.

Arno

anything