Author Topic: Wipers Don't Work  (Read 10269 times)

camaromaniac

• View Profile
Wipers Don't Work
« on: June 20, 2006, 06:06:27 PM »
This is my 1st post to CRG (so please go easy on me). I'm just getting started on the  wipers that don't work on my 69.  I tested the electrical current at the motor--- with the key on & wiper switch off, I get 12 volts at all three leads on the motor and the same with the key on and the wiper switch on---- yet the wipers don't work.  So where do I go from here?  If it involves removing the wiper motor from the firewall, can I get detailed (step by step) instructions on how to do that?  Thanks, Charlie   

KevinW

• View Profile
Re: Wipers Don't Work
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2006, 09:01:16 PM »
Wiper are very picky about grounding.  If the dash switch and wiper motor are not grounded well, it does not work.

camaromaniac

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2006, 05:05:35 AM »
Kevin, good point on the grounding.  I put a ground wire on the wiper motor, to no avail.  I'll do the same on the wiper switch to see if that makes a difference.  As noted, I have power at the wiper motor (all three leads).  I just checked for power at the switch and found the center and right wires (one light blue, the other black) both have 12 volts, but the far left wire (dark blue) did not have any power.  Do you know if that wire (far left dark blue) is for the washer or the wiper?  I don't really care if I have a washer at this point, but if it's for the wiper, then it's part of the problem.  I'm guessing the far left wire goes to the washer, correct????  Thanks, Charlie

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2006, 07:47:17 PM »
The motor has to be grounded, and so does the switch - the motor works by grounding the circuit through the switch to the lower instrument panel reinforcement. There's a stamped sheet metal ground plate shared by the headlight switch and the wiper switch, with a leg at the bottom that's screwed to the lower reinforcement, and a pigtail wire - if that plate or wire is broken, missing, or has the screw at the bottom missing, the wipers won't work. That plate is shown in the Assembly Manual in UPC 1, sheet B2, View "B", and in UPC 12, Sheet B2.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG