Author Topic: Recommendations for a carb restorer  (Read 11092 times)

Mike S

• View Profile
Recommendations for a carb restorer
« on: December 06, 2011, 04:57:23 AM »
Hello List,

The finish on my '67 Quadrajet has long faded so I'm looking for recommendations for a place that does show quality restorations.
I've seen several restored carbs but many have the butterfly valves anodized instead of the silvery finish so I'd rather go to a place that recoats down to the correct part finishes.

Thank you,
Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

69pace

• View Profile
    • TeamCamaro - Moderator
1969 Z-11 350/300 with 4 Speed
TeamCamaro - Moderator

x77-69z28

• View Profile
Re: Recommendations for a carb restorer
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 10:08:16 PM »
jerry did a great job on my 67 qjet!
69 Z/28 X77 burnished brown, 711 int 05A bought in 78
70 Z28 forrest green, green int, M40, bk vinyl roof PROJECT
99 SS hugger orange 6spd NO TTOPS bought new 1 of 54
15 z/28 Arctic white, A/C 505 HP #251

MyRed67

• SZZLN 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 05:54:01 AM »
Where are you located?  Here's one in central U.S., Rockford, IL.   Restores a lot of Carbs. for Vettes.  I think he has 3 different levels.
                                  http://www.thequadshop.net/
1967 Camaro  LOS  11A
Original Engine   Z - Tribute
Mike C.    NW - Illinois

NoYenko

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 04:09:21 AM »
I just had 2 Quadrajets done by ( www.carbjunkys.com ) and was really pleased with the factory finish and attention to detail Jim preformed on mine.
The chevelle runs great, havent started the camaro yet.

restore-z28

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 02:56:36 PM »
The carb on my '69 Z28 was rebuild by Jerry M prior to me buying the car, still looks and runs great. I would not hesitate to use him when I require another carb to be rebuilt.

http://www.z28camaro.com
Sonny
1969 Z28 Camaro, sold :-(
1970 Z28 Camaro
www.camaros.ca

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2011, 02:28:00 PM »
Thanks all for the suggestions. Now it's decision time  :-\

Regards,
Mike

Steve Shauger

• View Profile
    • Vintage Certification
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2011, 04:42:26 PM »
There are many restorers out there, but I stick what has always worked for me(well the last 15 years). In fact I just had two carbs rebuilt; one holley (69 Z) and the other quadrajet (L48) and both returned within 10 days. I bolted them on and both operate perfectly. Craig Bartling http://pugetpages.com/craigscarb/contact.php

Very nice guy, who gives you personal service and has never let me down. Good luck.
Steve Shauger
Vintage Certification™ Program, Providing Recognition And Status To Unrestored Vehicles.  The Supercar Registry-www.yenko.net-

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2011, 11:21:18 PM »
There are pictures on here of carbs done by Cliff's High Performance.

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2011, 02:21:35 AM »
 Of all the places mentioned, do any of them refinish the pieces as they originally were?
I have some pieces such as the butterfly valves that are silver so I would want to have that type of finish.
Many restored carbs I see seem to have all the parts with a goldish dichromate finish.

Thank you,
Mike

tmodel66

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2011, 02:17:34 PM »
Of all the places mentioned, do any of them refinish the pieces as they originally were?
I have some pieces such as the butterfly valves that are silver so I would want to have that type of finish.
Many restored carbs I see seem to have all the parts with a goldish dichromate finish.

Thank you,
Mike

Read this thread all way thru.

http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=7176.0
Daniel  
'69 SS 350/4 speed  Fathom Green--POP

IZRSSS

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2011, 04:15:55 PM »
I don't get it (link above)...this is a topic that had no business showing up in a public forum. But here we go again...

Give it some time...someone will be saying the same thing about Cliff. Sh*t happens...let it go!

tmodel66

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2011, 05:28:28 PM »
I don't get it (link above)...this is a topic that had no business showing up in a public forum. But here we go again...

Give it some time...someone will be saying the same thing about Cliff. Sh*t happens...let it go!

I posted the link to give the guy a chance to look for a place to send his carb. If this link is not appropriate for public view  you   need to delete it. I simply done for him what others have done. Used the advanced search that a lot of new guys don't know about or don't use for whatever reason. I don't have a dog in this fight and I really don't see where you do either. Take a hike Marty !!
Daniel  
'69 SS 350/4 speed  Fathom Green--POP

IZRSSS

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2011, 07:00:05 PM »
Here is my point Mr. Danny; a man was publicly bashed on the above link. Not just any man but an individual 99.99% of us highly respect. Not just because he is an authority when it comes to First Gens, but because he is one hell of a nice guy!  I might be wrong but I honestly feel it was this one thread/public bashing that was responsible for his hiatus.  Not sure about you, but I certainly value this persons opinion/opinions on anything First Gen.  It certainly sucked not hearing his views on a majority of topics.  He finally posts a comment after an extended period of time, I logged-on and here's that same freaking link I thought was long gone.  I wonder how much time he'll be away this time?!  Maybe you don't need his wealth of information but some of us do.

As for your take a hike comment... I think you know by now how much I value your opinion!!!

Charley

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2011, 05:32:18 AM »
Wow...A guy posted he was looking to get his Quadrajet restored. A couple guys recommend Jerry. Another guy posts a link to a thread where a guy had a real problem with Jerrys resto. I don't like public bashing either but that thread was a example of how to put facts out that stand on their own. The guy with the quadrajet had documented all parts on his carb and all the stuff that went missing or got messed up. I have not seen anyone do a better job of sticking to the facts than that guy. Those type of posts are exactly what the internet world of information should be about. Should the trashing of the quadrajet been swept under the rug ?

anything