Author Topic: 69 headers/sidepipes question  (Read 2948 times)

Gilly

• View Profile
69 headers/sidepipes question
« on: November 30, 2011, 12:27:46 AM »
Hey all, asking this about my brothers old car, I posted about it once before. So just for my own curiosity.

Were there factory headers available on a 69 Z28? I thought I had read something to the effect that the factory supplied them in the trunk when new if you ordered them and the dealer installed them. I could see why as much as my brother dragged his headers when entering driveways for example, would be hard to transport it if it was that low.
Also what about sidepipes? I mentioned this before in my other post. The car was so ungodly loud that he eventually put on what I thought he said were the original headers and sidepipes, does this make sense? They were really cool loooking, just flat black with no heat shield at all.

Gilly

1968 Z28

• View Profile
Re: 69 headers/sidepipes question
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 03:19:09 AM »
Headers only available on 1967 & 1968 Z28's...and yes they were sent from the factory in the trunk.  There were no sidepipes available from the factory, in any first gen.  Some of the dealers might have added them after the fact.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 07:41:25 AM by KurtS »
Jerry G.

Z28-1968-07C-Norwood
Ermine White, Red Std. Interior
2nd. Owner, 38,000 miles

Gilly

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 03:30:24 AM »
Thanks much for the reply

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 11:14:55 PM »
Just curious. What dealership sold your brother's car?
Jon Mello
CRG

Gilly

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 11:49:37 PM »
We or at least I am not really sure. If my brother knows he hasn't mentioned it. He knows he is the 3rd owner. He knows the 2nd owner, although has not talked to him in a number of years he said. Back then we were from Middleton, WI. Assuming the car was from the area originally (which is no stretch, as my brother owned it right around 1976 or 7), then in 69 the dealer in town would have been Hults Chevrolet in Madison I believe, or Thorstad, although I think it became thorstad a short time after 69.
Also, in the prior post concerning this car, my brother does believe it had the cross ram intake originally but for some reason it was swapped to a GM 4 bbl intake. I know he let the car go with the cross ram intake, stupid mistake but hindsite it 20/20, man I shoulda bought the car myself! If it would help ID the car it also had Crane heads on it (Fireball angle plug heads).
I may be all messed up about the headers, he is saying it had Hookers on it.
Interesting about the side pipes, I know for a fact it had those put on it by my brother, but not until later in the time frame he owned it.
On the 67-68 side pipes, did they look as I am remembering, just plain black, no sheilding, really industrial-looking? I really liked it, fit the cars' look to a T.
He did all the care/maintenance on the car. My dad owned a gas station in Middleton. We were usually slow on Saturdays and he and I spent many a Saturday washing it and adjusting the valves, which seemed way over the top to do that every weekend, maybe it wasn't as often as I remember.
Gilly