Author Topic: Anybody coming to Chicago that can help verify my car  (Read 6633 times)

rvas

• View Profile
Anybody coming to Chicago that can help verify my car
« on: November 09, 2011, 08:22:24 PM »
Hello I have a 68 convertible that I would like to see if I could get an expert verification on.
This is an unrestored basket case. and I would like to know if it is a "real" car before I start the restoration.
I believe that the car is a RS/SS 396. It has all of the telltale signs except for the drive train.
The car is in Northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from the convention center where the nationals are being held next week.
Is there anybody coming to town next week that would be willing to verify this car?
Thanks, Rene Vasquez

GI JOE

• View Profile
Re: Anybody coming to Chicago that can help verify my car
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 04:21:45 PM »
Do your detective homework, i.e. owner history, etc...  from your photos the brake system has been replaced...   what leads you to think its a RSSS 396?
SFC GI JOE - Airborne Paratrooper
68- L-78, M22, BV
69- L-78, M22, BV, Conv

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 06:59:35 PM »
BB Heater, plug for speedo.
68Z28

GI JOE

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 04:43:47 AM »
All 68 BB's were SS.  To determine the RS option you should have the wiring, firewall and radiator support RS holes, RS tail lights, etc... check the AIM to determine the RS details. You should have a BB cross member if Munice 4 spd, all 68 BB came with 12 bolt posi rear axle, SS hood springs, power brakes, rear pressure brake regulator, dual exhaust brackets, the muncie 4 spd hole and clips, etc...

What do you have for a fan? Carb? throttle linkage?  Do you have factory gauges?  if yes what red line RPM is on the tach? what wheels do you have?  Feel free to ask me questions...
SFC GI JOE - Airborne Paratrooper
68- L-78, M22, BV
69- L-78, M22, BV, Conv

IZRSSS

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 12:01:20 PM »
You'll find useful information here...

http://www.camaros.org/options.shtml

Just one question... why ??? Seems like this project could get very $$$$ ??? There doesn't seem to be much left of what wasn't much left to begin with  :-\

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 04:09:17 PM »
Ah, looks like fun.  It's the challenge that counts.
68Z28

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 04:50:09 PM »
Just remember you are talking about a not matching numbers car without the drivetrain, so it will never be "real". Thus, the real challenge becomes what do you want to spend.
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

x66 714

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 05:28:43 PM »
I have a great deal of respect for anyone who will bring a car back once they gone this far. Granted, it will never be a numbers matching car, but it will be saved. He'll have as much fun or more because it's not numbers. GO FOR IT, MAN!
Enjoy it, verified or not.....Joe
See America's First, Chevrolet

1968 Z/28 Corvette Bronze. Black Hounds Tooth. 02E Los Angeles born 3/13/1968 pnt OO. Purchased March 1976
1969 SS396 Yellow/Yellow 08E Norwood born 8/28/1969 pnt 76E. Purchased April 1981

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 07:37:08 PM »
Check if there are rivnuts on the driver's side frame rail just behind the left rear tire (if it where there).

Paul

rvas

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2011, 08:43:34 PM »
Wow! thanks for all of the replies.
The RS signs are.
RS headlight switch (see Pic)
Rs taillights
rs hose grommet next to steering column (see pic)
I am pretty sure it is a big block car.
It has the BB heater box, multi leaf springs

Thanks for all of the input. I am not afraid to take on a project of this scale. I have done work like this before.
I guess what I want to end up with is a nice big block convertible that I can say honestly that it is an original car.
I plan to keep the car. I am not interested in creating a concourse car. Just a nice "original car to drive on the weekends.
I know that without the drive train it will never be 100% original, but I feel that the closer to original the better.
I am not interested in pulling the wool over anybody's eyes. it will be what is. I know it sounds like a long shot, but hopefully I can find some of the original drive train someday.
So, is it a moot point to worry about the BB RS/SS issue. I guess the least I could do is document all of the "signs" with a camera and call it what it is.
Thanks, Rene

IZRSSS

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2011, 08:49:47 PM »
I found a previous thread where you mentioned you might have leads to the original drivetrain. Did that ever pan out for you? Anyway, good luck with your project.

http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=7237.msg47631#msg47631

rvas

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2011, 10:05:49 PM »
Well I have been in contact with him a couple of times. He hasn't had any luck yet.
Just a refresher. The car was bought at an auction where a body shop went out of business. The employees striped the cars at the end to get any money they could when the company closed. The guy I bought it from was in contact with previous employees at one time, but hasn't heard anything in a while. I am still holding out hope.
rv

sam

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2011, 10:44:03 PM »
not sure it is worth all your time, money and effort. Its pretty bad in my opinion but???????

JKZ27

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2011, 11:31:06 AM »
I get it. You want a big block convertible so you'd like to start with a big block car rather than mess with a SB car in decent shape. Some may see that body as unuseable or "not worth it" but, if you can do the job yourself (im assuming you can)it becomes far more rewarding and affordable than paying someone else. I'm on the other end... I have a 396/325 TH400 out of a 65 impala sitting on my garage floor and I am just dreaming of finding a 67 Camaro BB conv roller in decent shape that I can afford. Chances are, I'll end up selling the 396. Good luck with your project, it looks fun.

John
John
69 RS/SS Cortez Silver, L48 MC1
68 RS Ash/Ivy Gold 327EFI M20

anything