Author Topic: Factory D90 Stripe  (Read 17072 times)

IZRSSS

Factory D90 Stripe
« on: November 09, 2011, 04:01:51 PM »
Anyone who has the original factory applied D90 stripes on their cars please hone in.  Or, if you have documentation/photos of the original stripes before they were repainted, please hone in.  I am searching for 1969 Camaro owners whose cars were built prior to February 1969.  I am trying find out a couple of things. One; when was the D90 stripe terminated at the fender extension? Two; what is the measurement of the misalignment at the fender portion of the stripe. And third; how did the stripe differ from Van Nuys & Norwood. If you are one of these owners, please share the following information;

Where your car was built (Van Nuys/Norwood)? A measurement of the misalignment taken from the forward end of fender (include a pic. If you are unable to do so please send pics to my email address and I'll be happy to host them for you; vsotero78@yahoo.com). And, a photograph of the D90 stripe at the fender extension, and a measurement of how far the D90 extends onto the fender extension. This will also show where the pin stripe was terminated.

I have included a couple of pictures to use as a guide...

Thanks in advance!

IZRSSS

Re: Factory D90 Stripe
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 04:02:55 PM »
...pic of fender extension...

KevinW

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 05:31:15 PM »
Marty, nice thread! When my stripe was put on by my painter, he bitched at the stencil company because it came in two pieces.  The join is right about where your pics show.  Maybe the GM stripe stencil was the same way?

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 05:34:57 PM »
The outer portion of the D90 stripe (that looks like a "pinstripe") wasn't hand-applied - it was part of the stencil, and was sprayed as part of the main stripe. The only applied pinstripes on the car were the D96 pinstripes adjacent to the wheel openings, which were done on the Final Line by Chevrolet with Beugler striping guns and applied guide fixtures.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

IZRSSS

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 08:03:22 PM »
Good information Kevin. Hopefully we can narrow down the differences if any between the factory stencil and the repops. Can you measure the point of misalignment on your stripe for me? If it helps, I used a square to line up the tape measure to the front of the fender.

Interesting John. I guess this explains why the pinstripe's are near perfect. And, it certainly looks like tape was removed from the edges. Now that I think of it the removal of tape probably explains the fine line of built-up paint along the edges. Can any painter's out there confirm this?

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 09:40:17 PM »
I'm confused why ask about the misalignment of the stripes. Since your car has been repainted, that's not really relevant, IMO, and distracts from the bigger question of when did the stripe change occur.

Jonesy has a nice pic of his car's stripe.

The latest I've seen is 11B on a LOS car, gone for sure on a 12C LOS car.
Last NOR I've seen is 10B.
Finding original paint cars or pics will not be easy.
Kurt S
CRG

IZRSSS

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 11:30:54 PM »
Kurt - I had a previous conversation with Steve Shauger regarding the D90 on my car.  I think we both know how knowledgeable Steve is, including his involvement with the Vintage Certification Program, and his knowledge with regards to what is and isn't authentic on these cars. He is the one that mentioned there might be a chance the D90 on my car is original.  I know it's a long shot but at least give this thing a chance.

Even if the stripe isn't original I believe you are wrong when you give the impression the stripe onto the fender extension didn't go past November of 68. My cars build date as you know is 12A.  I am just attempting to fill in the time-line you don't have. I also know the previous owner did everything within his power to authenticate the car as close to factory as was humanly possible. So, I have to believe the stripe (original or not) ending up on the fender extension was no accident.

As for my car not having anything to do with formulating a consensus regarding the misalignment, I think you're wrong.  I am simply using my car as an example for others to use should they decide to evaluate their own D90 stripes. And intern offer that information to CRG with some sort of consistency.    

..."Jonesy has a nice pic of his car's stripe". A little meat with that bone would have been nice ;) Link, pic, Van Nuys/Norwood... ???

..."Finding original paint car pics will not be easy". That's half the fun... ;)

If this is all too confusing for you or anyone else, that wasn't my intention...just delete it. Quite honestly, it really doesn't mean a whole heck of a lot to me one way or the other. ;)  

Steve Shauger

• View Profile
    • Vintage Certification
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 03:34:31 AM »
Below I have attached two close up pics of the D90 stripe on my 9B Nor built car. The misalignment occurs at the point the fender stencils were joined. My car is an extreme example of a poorly aligned stripe (I think it was a newby applying the stripes) The misalignment occurs 14 inched from the front of the vertical portion of the stripe. The stripe extends 1 1/4 inches on the fender extension.

Certainly I have no proof and I have not inspected Marty's car but I find it odd that someone reapplied the stripes on your car with what appears to be a two piece stencil (my understanding is it that its identical on both sides). What I speculated was perhaps the stripes were original and the rest of the fender/car was repainted. Kurt I dont know if you remember the fathom green Hauser car rs/ss L78  I owned (I provided you with the drivetrain and various #'s for you in 2004), anyway that car was repainted yet the stripes were original. It was easily identified by the paint edges on either side of the stripe.

I also tried to take a close up of the 1 inch tick (actually they are very small indents along the stripe), but my photography skills are lacking.

I will never forget the first time I brought the car Camaro Nationals I had to laugh when an "expert" came up and said the misalignment was due to a front end collision. To clarify the expert is NOT a member of this board.

Note the fender extension stripe misalignment that John alluded to. In the
Steve Shauger
Vintage Certification™ Program, Providing Recognition And Status To Unrestored Vehicles.  The Supercar Registry-www.yenko.net-

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2011, 04:09:12 AM »
Kurt - I had a previous conversation with Steve Shauger regarding the D90 on my car. He is the one that mentioned there might be a chance the D90 on my car is original.
But the guys that restored your car have clearly stated they repainted it.
The stencil is and was a 2-pc deal. I expect to see a transition mark on almost all D90 stripes.

Even if the stripe isn't original I believe you are wrong when you give the impression the stripe onto the fender extension didn't go past November of 68.
Huh???? And where did I ever say that????
..."Jonesy has a nice pic of his car's stripe". A little meat with that bone would have been nice ;) Link, pic, Van Nuys/Norwood... ???
His car, his data, his to post. He's a very helpful member of this forum.......
Kurt S
CRG

IZRSSS

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2011, 05:06:17 AM »
Kurt - I had a previous conversation with Steve Shauger regarding the D90 on my car. He is the one that mentioned there might be a chance the D90 on my car is original.
But the guys that restored your car have clearly stated they repainted it.
The stencil is and was a 2-pc deal. I expect to see a transition mark on almost all D90 stripes.

Even if the stripe isn't original I believe you are wrong when you give the impression the stripe onto the fender extension didn't go past November of 68.
Huh???? And where did I ever say that????
His car, his data, his to post. He's a very helpful member of this forum.......

Wouldn't it have been easier just to delete the thread  ??? ??? ???

IZRSSS

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2011, 01:00:11 PM »
Below I have attached two close up pics of the D90 stripe on my 9B Nor built car. The misalignment occurs at the point the fender stencils were joined. My car is an extreme example of a poorly aligned stripe (I think it was a newby applying the stripes) The misalignment occurs 14 inched from the front of the vertical portion of the stripe. The stripe extends 1 1/4 inches on the fender extension.

If this thing ever gets off the ground this is what I'm looking for...

Original D90
- 9B Norwood
- Misalignment 14" from front vertical portion of stripe
- Stripe extends 1 1/4" on the fender extension

Probably not Original
- 12A Van Nuys
- Misalignment 16 1/2" from front vertical portion of stripe
- Stripe extends 1/2" on the fender extension

Certainly I have no proof and I have not inspected Marty's car but I find it odd that someone reapplied the stripes on your car with what appears to be a two piece stencil (my understanding is it that its identical on both sides). What I speculated was perhaps the stripes were original and the rest of the fender/car was repainted.  
Thanks for mentioning that, and yes the misalignment's are identical at both the right and left fender. And no, neither one of us is trying to mislead anyone by indicating my stripes are original to the car nor did I at any time mention that they were. AGAIN...I simply included the pics so those who have their original D90 stripes know what information is needed.

I will never forget the first time I brought the car Camaro Nationals I had to laugh when an "expert" came up and said the misalignment was due to a front end collision. To clarify the expert is NOT a member of this board.  
Talk about a classic. Thanks for sharing! BTW...great pics of the stripe!

« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 01:18:32 PM by IZRSSS »

KevinW

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2011, 06:11:46 PM »
I finally got mine down, the DR side is perfect, cannot see the seam, on the PS side there is a small join mark at around 19 or 19.5 in. from front fender edge.

IZRSSS

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2011, 07:50:14 PM »
Kevin - Thanks for the info! Please let me know the build date of your car and if the stripe extends onto the fender extensions?

KevinW

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2011, 10:17:48 PM »
Marty, keep in mind my stripes are not original (repro stencils) and the repaint before I got the car did not have them.  It is a 10B NOR (Oct 68) car.  I used the pictures on the web and had my painter extend them about 3/4" on the extensions.

IZRSSS

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2011, 11:02:51 PM »
Thanks Kevin, this is exactly what I was looking for. Your measurements and mine are very similar so obviously mine are looking more and more like repops. Big difference between mine and Kevin's D90's as they relate to Steve's. Please keep the repop and original D90 measurements coming.

Original D90
- 9B Norwood
- Misalignment 14" from front vertical portion of stripe
- Stripe extends 1 1/4" on the fender extension

Probably not Original
- 12A Van Nuys
- Misalignment 16 1/2" from front vertical portion of stripe or 18 1/2 from front fender edge
- Stripe extends 1/2" on the fender extension

Not Original
- 10B Norwood ('68)
- Misalignment 19 to 19 1/2 from front fender edge
- Stripe extends 3/4" on the fender extension

Kevin - please give me your measurement from the forward vertical edge of the stripe to the misalignment. If you look at my pic and Steve's pic, the stripes are not positioned exactly the same. You can tell by looking at the 396 & 350 emblems. That alone will throw the measurement off by quite a bit. I think this other measurement will be much more accurate.