Author Topic: Sheet Metal ?s  (Read 6732 times)

wkuehn

• View Profile
Sheet Metal ?s
« on: June 17, 2006, 01:47:00 AM »
Have 69 x44. Needs both rear quarters, roof, tail panel... I understand the foriegn sheet metal does not always fit well... but are US makers all the same? Going to Carlisle PA next week and would like to know what to look for.
Also is there a manual of some kind that shows or explains body alignment for the gen 1 cars?
Are there any body parts not available? Example: I have never seen the hump over the rear axle or the inside panel of the rear window...or the "Y" shaped panels that run from the floor to the package tray... new to all this and love this site...
hope some of you can help... thanks Wally

hotrod68

• almost finished
    • View Profile
Re: Sheet Metal ?s
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2006, 03:28:10 AM »
The foreign stuff is JUNK, Wally. Goodmark is touted as the best US seller of replacement sheetmetal, but they're made overseas, too.  I replaced the fenders, doors, tailpan and deck lid on my '68 with Goodmark stuff, and none of it fit like genuine GM. One set of fenders was so bad I had to send them back and get another set. The biggest problem was that many of the body lines and gaps between panels were way off. The left fender eyebrow was so far off that the headlight door wouldn't even fit into it! I had to elongate holes in the tailpan to get the taillights to fit. When I shell out those kinda bucks I expect things to FIT! Don't expect perfection from the repro companies.
   My advice is if you can find genuine GM NOS or used sheetmetal, buy it despite the cost--even if used parts need patch panels. It will save you countless headaches. You should be able to find some stuff at Carlisle.
   Several restoration companies sell repro GM assembly manuals that will tell you the gap specs on body panels as well as almost all other components. I got mine from Rick's 1st Generation, but Year One sells them, too. Year One are great people to deal with!
   Hope this helps.

HotRod'68  1968 SS350 coupe undergoing frame-off resto/rod. 386/350/4.11s
Butternut Yellow    black standard interior

wkuehn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2006, 12:28:12 PM »
Thanks a bunch HotRod68...
Helps a lot..
Wally

West,J.71

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2006, 02:06:45 PM »
Everything Hot rod has said is true,i just replaced the trunk pan,inner outer fender wells,2 factory full length quarters and my tail pan. All parts that i bought from NPD and it was a night mare trying to get everything to fit. If my car was a numbers matching car i would have got all GM replacement stuff. Its worth it in the long run.

wkuehn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2006, 04:00:19 PM »
Thank you WestJ.71
Looks like GM --- 2    All else  ---- zip
I'll look for GM replacement stuff first...maybe only...
Is there a website for GM stuff?
Are the GM parts marked? how will i know GM from others?
Thanks a ton WestJ.71
Wally

hotrod68

• almost finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2006, 05:25:19 AM »
Unfortunately, Wally, GM NOS sheetmetal parts are GONE lol. I work at a Chevy dealership, and the only sheetmetal I know of that is still available for Camaros are the cowl panel and and '69 Cowl Induction hood, and I suspect these parts are no longer GM stampings, but farmed out because they still sell well. The vendors like Rick's and NPD and Year One have sucked up all the NOS parts, and even those supplies have dwindled down to next to nothing in some cases. I have personally gone through original GM parts books and checked available parts through GM when restoring my '68, and it's dismal what is left. GM has an official website for restoration parts, but they're aftermarket  for the most part--not real GM NOS stuff. I can tell you if you run across NOS GM sheetmetal at Carlisle it'll be EPDM black and  will have a white with black letters GM part# sticker on it. Good luck!
HotRod'68  1968 SS350 coupe undergoing frame-off resto/rod. 386/350/4.11s
Butternut Yellow    black standard interior

anything