Author Topic: Trunk Divider  (Read 3916 times)

LM69Z28

• View Profile
Trunk Divider
« on: October 25, 2011, 05:50:30 AM »
When the trunk was restored in my 69 Z it was oversprayed and the splatter paint is on the upright braces and on the exposed part of the divider. This is the original divider and I do not want to replace it with a repro piece. Trying to keep as many original parts in the car as possible! Any suggestions as to what I can use to try to get it back to the factory finish? maybe a coat of paint that's close to the original material finish or ??
Any suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks
LM69Z28 ;)

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
Re: Trunk Divider
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 09:40:20 PM »
Some of the repos are not the exact same material, so I certainly think you are making a sound decision on restoring the original. How grainy is the splatter on the divider? I think I'd carefully clean it and go with a close match on paint color and sheen. JMO
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

LM69Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 09:59:17 PM »
JMO
Looks pretty thick so may have an issue with that although maybe a light sanding then swipe with lacquer thinner to smooth it over. No clue on what the original color of the rear of the divider was, my photos show what appears to be a blueish greenish black color probably printed into the cardboard when made!
Thanks
LM69Z28

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 10:12:26 PM »
Search some pics of JohnZ's car.  It shows some of the splatter in his trunk.  Some oversparay may be normal.
68Z28

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 04:06:42 PM »
You can see the blackish divider in the opening below the defogger in the photo below; there wouldn't be any spatter paint overspray on it, as the divider was installed in the Trim Shop, long after the body (and trunk) were painted.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

LM69Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 04:15:27 PM »
Thats what I thought, restored incorrectly................ :-[
Thanks
LM69Z28

anything