Author Topic: 67 interior color - red  (Read 3557 times)

LB67RSCONVERT

• View Profile
67 interior color - red
« on: October 24, 2011, 05:30:49 PM »
My 67 R/S is nearly ready for paint and we are trying to determine the correct interior color formula for the red interior. Looking at an original color chart, there may be two possibilities which are both Lucite colors. One is decribed as "red" with a formula of 9366LM while the other is 9201LM and is described as "dark red". Some portions of my original interior appear to be dark red while kick panels, convertible top boot, and other areas less prone to modification by the sun appear to be a brighter red. I will be replacing the entire interior but have not ordered the seat material or carpet or door panels and just want to be sure that the dash and upper doors are the correct color of red so that I will not need to repaint the dash later. Any ideas on the correct interior color formula???? 

tmodel66

• View Profile
67 interior color - red
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 12:45:48 AM »
What color does your trim tag say?
Daniel  
'69 SS 350/4 speed  Fathom Green--POP

Petes L48

• View Profile
67 interior color - red
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 02:24:25 AM »
PM sent.

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
Re: 67 interior color - red
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 07:39:50 AM »
The most correct way to accomplish assembly line correct appearance is to use the backs of the colored plastic parts to match against, this has been found to most correctly replicate the original appearance.
In all likely hood there will be more than one shade and or color, the colored interiors were notorious for their mismatch, however survivors and cars restored using NOS parts don't match perfectly so many have come around to the realization that the cars were not "perfect". Personally I like the calculated degree to which things were allowed to pass based on the volumes being produced.

James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

LB67RSCONVERT

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 11:21:11 PM »
The most correct way to accomplish assembly line correct appearance is to use the backs of the colored plastic parts to match against, this has been found to most correctly replicate the original appearance.
In all likely hood there will be more than one shade and or color, the colored interiors were notorious for their mismatch, however survivors and cars restored using NOS parts don't match perfectly so many have come around to the realization that the cars were not "perfect". Personally I like the calculated degree to which things were allowed to pass based on the volumes being produced.

LB67RSCONVERT

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 11:40:30 PM »
Sorry for so long on this reply....been up to my neck in this car while still trying to run a business!! Thanks firstgenaddict for the info on the interior situation. I decided to get some color swatches from some of the repop companies that make the seat material. I tentatively plan on using TMI and their material matched perfectly with paint samples that matched interior color found in "conspicuous" areas. That turned out to be the lighter of the two paint options. So we went with that, and will now try to stay consistent throughout the rest of the car's interior (soft parts etc)
Got the car back from paint today and it looks great. Complete exterior as well as interior. And now the fun begins (re-assembly)! I'll try not to be too much of a pest but this forum has been a huge help so far. Seems everyone has experienced what I have so far!

anything