Author Topic: '68 RS Options  (Read 7779 times)

kid

• View Profile
    • Haunter's Nation
'68 RS Options
« on: October 10, 2011, 09:45:31 AM »
I just bought a '68 RS Coupe that's on it's way to me now. It has matching numbers, but is missing the front clip and exhaust. Is there any way to tell if it came with stripes on the nose, and whether it had single or dual exhaust, without the build sheet. It has the 327/210 engine, so I'm assuming single. I want to restore this car to 100% factory. Also, it currently has wheels that resemble rally's, but the holes are more of a saw blade shape. I assume these are aftermarket?

MyRed67

• SZZLN 67
    • View Profile
Re: '68 RS Options
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 10:39:01 PM »
Those wheels are off a '94 - '97 Chevy S-10 or GMC S-15 2 wheel drive, they're the standard wheel.
1967 Camaro  LOS  11A
Original Engine   Z - Tribute
Mike C.    NW - Illinois

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 09:07:32 PM »
Isn't there info on the cowl tag on 67's?  Go to the CRG part at the top right corner of the homepage (red CRG box) and go to numbers decode and decode your trim tag if you have one (cowl tag).
68Z28

kid

• View Profile
    • Haunter's Nation
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 10:39:02 PM »
This is a '68, and there is a cowl tag, but it doesn't give exhaust and tire options. The car has the original tire spec sticker in the glove box, so hopefully that will shed some light on the tire option. The exhaust is still a mystery, though.

rare396bronze

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 02:37:55 AM »
Have one owner 327.210 hp  all these car's should have single exhaust. Should have come with stripe across nose unless some ordered it stripe delete. Tire size e70/14 could have regullar rim's or rally wheels. Hope this helps.

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 03:21:40 AM »
should have single exhaust

Correct, but dual exhaust was optional on the base V8 engine.

Should have come with stripe across nose unless some ordered it stripe delete.

No, RPO D91 (or D90 starting in January of 1968) was optional on all cars except the SS (standard) and the Z28 (not available).

Tire size e70/14

This size wasn't used on the first generation Camaro. For 1968, the standard base model rim was the 14x6 steel wheel with the small hub caps, and the standard tire size was 7.35x14 2 ply. F70-14 tires were optional in either a white stripe or a red stripe, as were the rally wheels.

Ed

kid

• View Profile
    • Haunter's Nation
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2011, 10:44:58 AM »
Thanks Ed. And the only place these options are listed, are on the build sheet? Car got delayed, so I won't see it till tomorrow.

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2011, 01:46:48 PM »
And the only place these options are listed, are on the build sheet?

Yes, or the original dealer order form.

However, we might be able to tell if the car had D90 depending on the date the car was built. If it was built in January of 1968 or later, it would have the stripes on the door if it came with D90.

You can also check for the rivnuts on the frame for the dual exhaust option. If it came with the standard single exhaust, it won't have the rivnuts.

What's the VIN and the trim tag info?

Ed

kid

• View Profile
    • Haunter's Nation
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2011, 03:43:47 PM »
Vin number is 124378N351484. The previous owner deleted the pictures from Photobucket, so I can't get the tag info till tomorrow. I remember there was very little info on it.

I figured there would be some distinct mounting clues for the exhaust. Thanks for that tip!

I assume you mean the "hocky stripe" on the doors. There's none there now, and all of the paint paint is faded equally top to bottom. The bottom of doors has the black accent paint, though.

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2011, 04:06:44 PM »
Your car was originally sold by Andean Motor Company in Cumming, GA and has been on ebay a few times. Once in May of 09 and again just a month or so ago (EBAY AUCTION).

The trim tag shows the build date as 11E, so if it came with any stripes, it would have been the D91 (bumblebee), so no help there.

As for the dual exhaust, you'll have to check for the rivnuts.

Ed

kid

• View Profile
    • Haunter's Nation
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2011, 04:12:48 PM »
Okay, so it's always been a southern car. That explains why it's so solid, evan after sitting for over 30 years.

So exhaust should not be an issue. As far as the stripe, if there's no proof either way I can go with personal preferance without losing originality points.

kid

• View Profile
    • Haunter's Nation
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2011, 07:32:43 PM »
So the car finally showed up today. I checked out under the car, and there is what appears to be aftermarket dual exhaust hangers. I'm not sure where to check for the rivnuts, but I'm sure it's in the assembly manual that should be here soon.
As for the engine, all the numbers show it is the matching "ME" block for the car, but it has a quadrajet sitting on a GM intake. Could you get an ME from the factory with a 4bbl?

Gramps69Z

• 69 X33 D80
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2011, 08:35:10 PM »
  Could you get an ME from the factory with a 4bbl?

Nope!

http://www.camaros.org/diffs68.shtml

After looking at the eBay pictures your definition of solid is different from mine.
Captain John Wykoff
Destin Fire:   October 31, 2015 at 0700--Officially Retired

kid

• View Profile
    • Haunter's Nation
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2011, 11:04:17 PM »
Yeah, I checked all of the numbers already and codes. I was just wondering if you could order it from a dealer.

Compared to some of the cars out there that are twice the price, this car is very solid. It needs floors and trunk (which most do), but the quarters and rockers are fine. It needs a little work around the window channels but being a vinyl top car, I can do patches.

On top of that, the interior is in excellent shape. Needs a head liner, carpet, and that's it. The rest can be dyed, painted, or just cleaned.

anything