Author Topic: Quick to Judge Sometimes  (Read 4550 times)

TooManyReels

• View Profile
Quick to Judge Sometimes
« on: September 01, 2011, 01:23:19 AM »
Several months back, I requested some info. on a vin # for a guys car that I learned about.  A few weeks ago, I got an ear full (I mean an ear full) from one of his guys closest friend telling me just how much he disliked me for what I had done even though the person that owned car said it was OK to run the Vin# through this site.

First off - I would never intentally trash anyones car, especially on open forum with experts like some of the guys from this site.....How stupid would that be.. I let the guy vent and rant and finally just walked away saying man this sucks..He was not even a part of the original conversation that took place so he jump the gun too..

All the information that I got from this site tells me the car is a real x77 and that the paint code that I listed was incorrect.. I put paint code 52-52 instead of 57-57..As I had stated in my post the lighting was poor when we looked at the cowl tag and that I could have wrote down the wrong numbers...I will never make that mistake again...So, where am I going with this...

I went back and looked at my post and I can see where or when we read something that we jump the gun too quickly and call someeones car a fake, when maybe we really don't know. At this point, I'm not sure is I can undo any wrong doings if any, on my behalf.

Next time, I would only asked that we ask for more details or info before jumping to quickly and calling someones car a fake just incase, it's not.
TMR
Eddie
63 Chevy II SS 570hp 560tq.
69 Z28 X33 Cross Ram JL8

IZRSSS

Re: Quick to Judge Sometimes
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 01:29:57 AM »
Can you post the link to the thread in question?

TooManyReels

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 01:41:43 AM »
Marty, I would rather let this go and just be mindful of how quick we can sometimes be in passing judgement with limited information or things we really don't know all that much about other than what someone provide to us..

This has been bothering me..I kind of felt maybe this would help me to stop worrying about it just in case I had done something wrong.  Next time, I will just post the vin # and let the data speak for itself...

TMR
Eddie
69 Z28 X33 Cross Ram JL8

IZRSSS

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 02:01:25 AM »
I understand. I think all of us who make judgement calls on information given do so with the best of intentions & base them on what we have learned on CRG. We also give knowing there are qualified members waiting in the shadows to correct us if we're wrong. A word of advise...you should wait until one or more of these guys with the pretty faces weigh in (http://www.camaros.org/aboutcrg.shtml ...not sure who the newbie is though ;D) to make your final decision.

Sorry to hear you had to go through this uncomfortable experience.  

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 05:53:40 AM »
I remember where I read in Colvin's BTN's that the Block casting # I had for a 69 Z28 engine was "very rare".  I posted that when I was new and told people who new better that Colvin was right and they were wrong.  I got taken to the wood shed and learned to trust most of what is said on here.  But judging comes into a different spectrum.  Jerry has a big data base of original cars and so do some others.  When someone says "my car came this way", we all have to take a deep breath because 99 times out of 100, someone changed something.  But that rare case is where someone did buy a car new and they didn't touch a thing and it's different than what has been observed.  Then you have to stand back and say, maybe they are telling the truth.  Unless you're that person you never know 100%.  Everyone has an opinion, but we have to go by what is the most common case and if the info given was incorrect, then you get an incorrect answer.  That seems to be your case and an honest mistake.  Sorry you got taken to the woodshed, but you know you tried to do the right thing.
68Z28

jmcbeth

• 1st and 5th Gen Camaros
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 12:19:36 PM »
Well, just to chime in on a positive note, we should all be thankful that CRG exists. The level of understanding of these cars by those on this site is uncanny. What an incredible resource for those of us who love the first gen Camaro.

And, yes, I, like many others on here, feel compelled from time to time to jump in and give my opinion about authenticity, what's correct and incorrect, etc. I have been able to contain myself (and not look like a fool) because of the respect I have for the experts that take the time to help us. We all know who they are. What's the saying? "When CRG talks, people listen..."
John
1969 Camaro Z/28 RS
Numbers Matching

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 02:19:09 PM »

This has been bothering me..I kind of felt maybe this would help me to stop worrying about it just in case I had done something wrong.  Next time, I will just post the vin # and let the data speak for itself...

TMR

Like Marty, I'm sorry this happened for you. But you did learn something. Move on and carry a camera when you go look at a car.
Cars, politics, and religion -even the best intentions can run a foul!
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

TooManyReels

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2011, 10:49:06 PM »
One of the lession that I have learned from this, is that I should stop trying to help others that I don't know all that well, just to establish a new friendship with unless they are very very good friends...At least a good friend would know your intentions were just trying to be helpful no matter what the out come or others my say or think.

Thanks for your response..Its given me some different prospective to ponder...

TMR
Eddie
69 Z28 X33 Cross Ram JL8

L78 steve

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2011, 01:51:39 PM »
When I purchased my car I was told it was a fake because It didn't have a factory tach. We all know here the deal with that. But I didn't act like a baby and get mad at the messenger. I did some research and found out the facts. Everybody has an opinion and that is all that it is. If I give a friend an opinion and he blisters me for it then I would my friends more carefully.
69 Z/28 Dover White. SOLD
67 SS/RS Mt. Green 1W,2LGSR,3SL,4K,5BY,07C. SOLD
70 Nova L78 Blk. Cherry,Sandalwood,M21,02B

jdv69z

• 69 RS Z/28 52E
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2011, 06:45:02 PM »
When I purchased my car I was told it was a fake because It didn't have a factory tach. We all know here the deal with that. But I didn't act like a baby and get mad at the messenger. I did some research and found out the facts. Everybody has an opinion and that is all that it is. If I give a friend an opinion and he blisters me for it then I would my friends more carefully.

Same here, as well as the one about no such thing as an RS/Z28. In fact there have several "facts" regarding 69 Z's that have been published over the years that have conflicted with my car. These "facts" have all eventually been revised over time to match what I have observed on my car!

Jimmy V.
Jimmy V.