Author Topic: Month and Week Coding  (Read 3754 times)

TooManyReels

• View Profile
Month and Week Coding
« on: August 22, 2011, 08:50:32 PM »
My car is a 02D build date, which is Feb. fourth week...Did all 1969 production camaro's have a month and week build date (like mine)  or did this change sometime during the year.  I recall reading on one of the response post that an 06B was not a real number..Can some clear this up for me..

TMR-Eddie
Eddie
63 Chevy II SS 570hp 560tq.
69 Z28 X33 Cross Ram JL8

IZRSSS

Re: Month and Week Coding
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 12:46:53 AM »
I searched the achieves from Assembly Process to Decoding and this was all I could find; Under "Field b (LOS vs NOR)". Apparently more data is needed to fully understand this portion of the Fisher Body Scheduling process. However, I don't know of any 69's that doesn't have a Body Build Date Code on the Trim Tag. I'm sure if there's one out there someone will let me know.

If a 06B build was canceled it was due to the plant shutting down for an entire week and that didn't happen. Although, I think I read somewhere that Van Nuys shut its doors during the 69 production year and turned everything over to Norwood. But I'm not sure when this occurred or if it would even apply.

http://www.camaros.org/numbers.shtml#CowlTag  

TooManyReels

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 01:36:33 AM »
Thanks Marty,,,I research this as well before I posted this thread and did not find anything that leads me to believe that the month and week coding was changed or stopped during the production year..But having said that, I'm not sure if they closed the plants down for Summer vacation or PM's like some plants did and still do for equipment maintenance and repair...

A while back I did a vin # search on a 06B build date and someone said that they thought that the 06B code was not right..So I was just doing a follow up to that comment...

Eddie
Eddie
69 Z28 X33 Cross Ram JL8

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 01:49:03 AM »
The date on the body tag represents the week Fisher Body Production Control released the order to build the body. The attendant at the body tag stamper punched up the tag and placed it in a tray with other paperwork. Generally body fab began shortly thereafter. 3-4 calendar days later the car rolled off the end of the line at Chevrolet.

There were regular occasions where a tag was punched but did not immediately go into production. Our db is in VIN order and it is common to see tag dates flip back and forth: 11D/11D/12A/11D for example. This is simply normal Production Control activity; maybe a certain color interior part is short so those released orders were held.

The tag dates you may be referring to are 06A and 07A. With vacations and partial shutdowns Fisher PC simply punched all June tags 06A and all July tags 07A.

Our ZL-1 project of many years ago also had an 02D tag date. It was final-assembled March 4, 1969.

I was also involved with a '67 Z/28 project. The tag had an 06E date; VIN N2510xx, engine was V0706MO. The engine is technically later than the car. All other N251xxx VINs have 07B tag dates. All legit.
Learning more and more about less and less...

TooManyReels

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 02:03:39 AM »
Thanks William,  this helps a lot..Just so I'm clear on this point, if all the other info checks out on the trim tag correctly for the car i.e color code, body code then it is  possible that it could have been stamped 06B. Again, every thing else matches to the car...

Eddie
Eddie
69 Z28 X33 Cross Ram JL8

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 02:07:41 AM »
I doubt it. Every June car in our db is 06A.
Learning more and more about less and less...

TooManyReels

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 02:13:23 AM »
OK thanks,,,
Eddie
Eddie
69 Z28 X33 Cross Ram JL8

GI JOE

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 03:27:01 AM »
Eddie,

I can confirm this as I have never seen anything but 06A except 2 cars (06I and 06C) both fake but if you find one share the info as you never know. Also the 07A except an eBayer selling a car wrote his cowl as 07D but never posted a photo (if my memory serves me right) and it too was fishy...   

Has anyone seen an 08 B (Aug 2nd week)???
SFC GI JOE - Airborne Paratrooper
68- L-78, M22, BV
69- L-78, M22, BV, Conv