Author Topic: Seat foam and springs.  (Read 10884 times)

68Zproject

• View Profile
Seat foam and springs.
« on: August 21, 2011, 06:09:38 AM »
Anyone had any luck with certain brands and/or vendors for the seat foam and/or springs?  My original foam is breaking down badly and making a mess under the seat all the time.  The drivers seat also sits right on the floor and I took it out to see if anything was up.  I noticed the two side springs were broken and I see there is a repair kit for just that.  Also, the seat on the drivers side leans back to far.  I've shimmed the bumper and latch, but does anyone know offhand what cause it?  Is something broken in the seat back too?

Thanks.
68Z28

68Zproject

• View Profile
Re: Seat foam and springs.
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 03:51:57 AM »
Are all of us sitting on old foam and broken springs?
68Z28

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 01:35:51 PM »
I am, and I'm looking forward to many replies to this thread! Somebody help us out.
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 09:30:43 PM »
I was looking at Rick's (which I don't want to do business with) and they have the Cactus foam.  I don't know if that's good or bad, if it's better to use the side spring repair kit or get a whole new seat spring and who has the best at the best price.
68Z28

IZRSSS

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 11:45:17 PM »
I was hoping someone would start a topic on seats. I thought it was just me. I put new foam and covers on two years ago (before I found this site). I ordered them through Classic Industries. Looking back I am sure there are much better suppliers and I'm curious to find out which ones (including springs, etc.) are recommended by CRG. 

I was dumb founded by what I thought were poor quality springs. Maybe their just plain worn out. I'd sure like to sit on a newly condition set of buckets to see what they should feel like.

I know this is a dumb question but here goes...Are both buckets (frame work) suppose to be identical? I have a feeling Mr. previous owner/restorer helped himself to these as well. If they aren't, I retract this statement  ;D.

tmodel66

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 11:54:42 PM »
I got mine from Legendary Interiors along with my seat covers and door panels. Everything I got from them seems to be good quality,fit and color.  Here's their site.

http://www.legendaryautointeriors.com/
Daniel  
'69 SS 350/4 speed  Fathom Green--POP

Stingr69

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 03:53:28 PM »
I had my black/houndstooth buckets recovered and found the PUI covers were less than satisfactory in workmanship. The seams were too crooked to be fit properly by the interior shop. I ended up asking them to use some of the PUI cover pieces and some of the original GM pieces to get a satisfactory fit. The foam I used was the more expensive style with the wires moulded inside but I can't remember the vendor. The foam was VERY thick - maybe a little too thick?

Al Knoch has a very good reputation on seat covers and he is the guy I would buy from next time I need covers or foam. I wish I had bought from him the first time.

-Mark.

L78 steve

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011, 04:05:37 PM »
I did a pair of Nova buckets. They were a mess once I tore into them. Had to weld the frames where the springs wore the holes through. I shopped Camaro's and Classic's and was happy with them. The seats came out nice but was about a grand a pair when it was all said and done.
69 Z/28 Dover White. SOLD
67 SS/RS Mt. Green 1W,2LGSR,3SL,4K,5BY,07C. SOLD
70 Nova L78 Blk. Cherry,Sandalwood,M21,02B

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2011, 04:52:03 AM »
  Also, the seat on the drivers side leans back to far.  I've shimmed the bumper and latch, but does anyone know offhand what cause it?  Is something broken in the seat back too?

Thanks.

How about this?  Is there something in the seat back that can break too?
68Z28

Paul68RS/Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2011, 10:19:35 AM »
I see you said "you shimmed the bumper, is the actual stop screw still in place on the other side? Usually that screw and the bumper can be adjusted/shimmed to correct the seatback tilt. I have seen seatbacks broken in the area of the transition from the full upper to the the side frames. You may be able to pull the back off and look in the upper sections to check for this, but it usually won't make the seatback lean back, if cracked in this area. Really sounds like the stop adjustment, or the support section for the stop and bumper are cracked/slightly crushed down from 40+ years.

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2011, 03:05:16 PM »
The bumpers and stops are both there.  Compared to the passenger seat, the driver's seat is way back.  I shimmed it up so much that it won't latch and that's why I was wondering if there is something that breaks to make it go so far back.
68Z28

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2011, 12:12:24 PM »
I had Al Knoch do our orig. door panels, buckets, and rear seat for our 68 Z/28 restoration. IMO they are getting it correct dead on. Glass beaded the springs, restored the seat backs, etc..... My friend who has a restoration shop was so impressed with the quality he gave them his entire interior for his 69Z. Posted pics of our 68's interior where I have a thread on it's restoration. http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584&page=23
Also doing, again just my honest opinion, some great recovering on 68 dash pads. Just gave them a dash pad out of a 69 Firebird that is similar to the 68 Camaro. Great quality and great value for your buck. 
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

zman1969

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2011, 08:49:37 PM »
I had bought a new seat bottom springs and new cushions and had a local guy install them, I have to say they look good BUT the driver side does not match the passengers side ?? never thought about that and was at least 10 yerars ago- car has been sitting - I wonder if after use it may take a better set to match pass side whick I think looks normal
Rich
69 RS/Z DZ302 Daytona bumble bee
69 T/A clone LS6/6sp
69 Nova SS 396

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2011, 04:07:13 AM »
I guess I'll wait until I get the seats out and take them apart before I order anything.  I did take out the drivers seat and saw the side springs were both broken.  I read a bunch of threads on this at TC and the backs break in a certain spot and that's probably what is wrong with the drivers seat.  It was recommend to do (weld) both sides as the passenger side breaking is just a matter of time.  I was thinking about getting the foam from Al Knoch.  Anyone else concur with him?
68Z28

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2012, 02:17:37 AM »
Well, I ordered the foam and side spring repair from Al Knoch and they look great.  To update, I found what was making my seat back tilt back farther than the passenger side.

68Z28