Author Topic: Registry for the JL8 Cars?  (Read 12829 times)

clm69z28

• View Profile
Registry for the JL8 Cars?
« on: August 18, 2011, 12:15:01 AM »
Does anyone know if a registry exists for the factory JL8 equipped cars? I know over the years that the parts swaps and such have increased the total number of JL8 equipped cars, but has anybody tied to find the original 206 cars?

jl8dale

• View Profile
Re: Registry for the JL8 Cars?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 01:26:05 AM »
I don't know of anybody doing this strictly for JL8's but I'm sure the CRG people here have data on some. It is widely believed that the 206 number was inflated and that only about 100 were built. Nobody can verify this with absolute certainty that I'm aware of but that's what I have heard.
I have one with Documentation to prove it is a factory JL8 car but many in existence do not have proof other than thru inspections for the proper parts.
1969 Z/28 Daytona Yellow/Yellow Houndstooth, Tilt, Fold Down Seat, - POP

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 02:22:12 AM »
At one time there were 4 JL-8 Camaros here in Milwaukee: Fathom Green/black, Orange/Orange houndstooth, Daytona Yellow RS/yellow houndstooth; Burnished brown/black. I have seen several more at shows in my 35 years. I have copies of original docs for 3-4 others.

The 206 figure came from Chevrolet in the '70s and is certainly possible.
Learning more and more about less and less...

clm69z28

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 05:07:30 AM »
The reason for my question is that I have come across one and wanted to see if there was a way to verify it absent the obligatory POP or build sheet. I thought that given the rarity of these that there might be a different way of doing that but it was only a hunch. Would either of you have the part #'s or good pics of the front/rear parts/assemblies that you would mind posting or sending to me so that I at least could compare to something?  If not, do you know where it might be on the web?  I looked at all of the links I could find but they are too general for what I am looking for. See the attached phot for a pic of one of the rear calipers.

Also, I understand that the rear axle assembly is different at the bearing area and is not tapered; I don't think I know what the difference would look like so any help there too would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help.

jl8dale

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 01:45:54 PM »
I don't have good pics of mine and the car is offsite, but look for the axle code to start with to see if it is coded for a JL8. The axle ends should be tapered and there should be no metering valve on the master cylinder. Also, check the trim tag for the assembly date. JL8's were only built in a short time frame. These may be original JL8 components but it may have been added to another car which would obviously exclude it from the 1 of 206 club.

x66 714

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 03:39:57 PM »
The way I've understood it was factory JL8 cars had tapered tubes & the service rearend has straight because of HD axles. Also keep in mind the front assms are different. A lot of people had disc rearends but didn't change out the front. If it has single piston calipers in the front, it was added...Joe
See America's First, Chevrolet

1968 Z/28 Corvette Bronze. Black Hounds Tooth. 02E Los Angeles born 3/13/1968 pnt OO. Purchased March 1976
1969 SS396 Yellow/Yellow 08E Norwood born 8/28/1969 pnt 76E. Purchased April 1981

clm69z28

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 05:26:42 PM »
Trim tag build date is 03d and the axle code is QX 0203g1 E. Can you gleam anything from the admittedly poor picture about the taper? I will check on the taper and the fronts and will post any info I get on it. I this in the window for the JL8 option to be factory?

jl8dale

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 06:46:20 PM »
Well, the QX calls out the JL8 rear so that's good but I think it is impossible to see if that axle is tapered in that picture. I don't know if they coded the over the counter heavy duty service units with the same identification but I'm sure somebody here knows.
The 03D trim tag date fits the time slot that these cars were built. The 0203 axle date is possible I guess, although it hung around for quite a while before being installed in a car.
Check for that metering valve attached to the master cylinder next.

clm69z28

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2011, 04:36:28 AM »
No metering valve (part # 3905525 per AIM) is evident; just the junction block.

jl8dale

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2011, 11:30:16 AM »
It should look like this pic.
You might same something here!
What color is it?

clm69z28

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2011, 11:58:08 PM »
JL8Dale:

The picture was missing from your post so if you would repost that would be great. Also, do you have a clear photo of the front brake setup on your car? I am supposed to get more pictures tonight and I would like to compare to another original JL8; that would be a help. The color is fathom green with black interior; kinda throws off my theme since all of my cars are blue- Le Mans and Mulsanne- but the JL8 will make up for it!

jl8dale

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2011, 12:19:32 AM »
That's strange, the picture is showing on my computer and has 39 views.
If you want, email me at dale@ameriken.com and I can send you a few pics.

IZRSSS

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2011, 12:39:33 AM »
The pics there, nice one at that. 40 views. ;)

clm69z28

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2011, 07:19:48 AM »
The pic is now showing up on my computer- go figure.  I agree, very nice looking and unfortunately the one I am looking at doesn't look that nice, but it is missing the metering valve so that's good.

RPOZ11

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2011, 02:50:39 AM »
Trim tag build date is 03d and the axle code is QX 0203g1 E. Can you gleam anything from the admittedly poor picture about the taper? I will check on the taper and the fronts and will post any info I get on it. I this in the window for the JL8 option to be factory?

Maybe a thought but does anyone know when the NON tapered JL8 housings were available complete and over the counter for purchase?
VN Pacecar

anything