Author Topic: Camaro Safety Help???  (Read 5415 times)

mjnotto

• View Profile
Camaro Safety Help???
« on: August 12, 2011, 09:44:22 PM »
So I am wondering if there is any way to put 4 or 5 point seat belts in a 67 camaro without a role cage. From what I have researched putting them down to the floor is unsafe?? Are there 4 point seat belts that will work??  Since there aren't any airbags I need to find a way to make the car safer. Any Suggestions??

flyingskibiker

• View Profile
Re: Camaro Safety Help???
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 09:35:27 AM »
Is a 3 point belt good enough?  I mean, all the factories do it... ;-)  There are aftermarket retractible 3 point belts for sale.  Or one can buy original, non-retractible belts, as well.

mjnotto

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 11:58:21 PM »
The only issue with a 3 point is there aren't any airbags. So I was thinking a four would be safer to compensate for the missing airbags???? Suggestions??

flyingskibiker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 05:04:28 AM »
I would think airbags only help the neck if a 3 point seat belt is worn.?.?  I mean, the belt should stop the forward travel of the body.  But the head is unsupported and keeps on moving.  So, in most cases, I would assume there isn't much difference between a 3 and 4 point.  Though, the force would be spread across the body more evenly w/ a 4 point...  I'm just spit ballin' here...

Petes L48

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 02:02:31 PM »
Saw these, but I don't think this is what you want plus looks like they floor mount for the front:  http://wescoperformance.stores.yahoo.net/am4point.html

IMO, there are other safety factors that come into play before the benefits of going from a 3 to 4 point belt.  Stuff like no crumple zones, air bags, or side impact reinforcement etc like you have on modern cars.  My point is, belts are just part of the total safety system.  In a road collision there may be bigger issues like the steering column or something else, things you cannot change on these older cars if staying original.       

mjnotto

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 04:01:53 PM »
Yea it seems like unless I add a role cage the seat belt isnt going to make that much of a difference. Obviously I need more then a lap belt but that could just mean a 3 point. I still think I would like a four point for some extra safety but I just don't know if its possible without the role cage. Anyone know if this is possible??? Suggestions??

And after some research it seems like corbeau would have the best harnesses.

http://www.corbeau.com/products/harness_belts/

anything