Author Topic: Rear axle tube codes and engine codes  (Read 5130 times)

huggerorange

• View Profile
Rear axle tube codes and engine codes
« on: August 09, 2011, 10:10:08 PM »
Hello everyone! It's been a while since I was on here, but I have a question for the experts.

A little background: I bought a 69 camaro back in 2006 which turned out to be a COPO/RS according to experts on this site. I still have the car, and the restoration is almost complete, but on hold for a bit due to my recent divorce. Anyway, I have not yet found the original engine, trans or rear end for my car (all that stuff was missing when I got it), but I do have the protect-o-plate which has the numbers for those components. The number on my p.o.p. for my missing engine is T0522MN, and the number for my missing rear axle is BE0610G.

Ok, today I found a blue 69 copo camaro on an auction website. See http://www.ronsusser.com/inventory.htm?id=2156  The car is advertised as a legitimate copo car and is certified by J. McNeish. The number they show for the rear axle is BE0610G, and the number they show for the engine is T0528MN (just one digit off from what's on my p.o.p.).

So the question is, could there be another 69 copo camaro with the same rear axle number as mine, and with an engine number off by just one digit? Or have I just found the original engine and rear axle for my car? As always, any help is greatly appreciated.

1968 Z28

• View Profile
Re: Rear axle tube codes and engine codes
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 11:09:18 PM »
Hugger....the numbers from your POP are build numbers.  Listed below are the numbers decoded.

Engine
          T -Tonawanda engine Plant
          05 - Month of build
          22 - Day of build
          MN - Engine code (Special High Performance 427ci)

Axle
          BE - 4.10 Positraction
          06 - Month of build
          10 - Day of build
          G - Detroit Gear
Jerry G.

Z28-1968-07C-Norwood
Ermine White, Red Std. Interior
2nd. Owner, 38,000 miles

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 11:23:24 PM »
Chevrolet produced around 1000 COPO 9560 & 9561 Camaros over 220 or so production days. So there were several others with the same drivetrain dates as yours.

Many low-volume high-performance components were batch-built meaning 2-3 dozen assemblies on a given day. My small COPO db has 3 June 10 BE axles and 6 May 28 427 engines. Alternators, carbs, distributors, same story.
Learning more and more about less and less...

huggerorange

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 04:28:50 AM »
Doh!! Wishful thinking on my part! As always, thank you for your expertise and insight.

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 06:52:06 PM »
I believe that car, 9N662520, does not have it's original drivetrain either. Notice they didn't include any pages of Jerry's appraisal.
Kurt S
CRG

jdv69z

• 69 RS Z/28 52E
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 07:48:33 PM »
Doh!! Wishful thinking on my part! As always, thank you for your expertise and insight.

Maybe not your original drive train, but it is further supporting evidence of the authenticity of your car!

Jimmy V.
Jimmy V.

copo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 11:52:46 PM »
My 69 COPO has the rear end with the same build date and engine build date of May 21 69.

GI JOE

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 07:18:33 AM »
I wonder if Jerry could have a legal bidding clause in the cert that requires the whole cert to be posted in order to prevent others from misusing the cert...probably not...just thinking though...

Even better would be to let us contact Jerry with the cert number and see the report or does he already do this???
SFC GI JOE - Airborne Paratrooper
68- L-78, M22, BV
69- L-78, M22, BV, Conv

anything