Author Topic: Starter & Generator Help  (Read 7990 times)

IZRSSS

Starter & Generator Help
« on: August 04, 2011, 09:16:24 PM »
Its taken me about 5yrs (the time I've owned the car) to finally decide on these two components. They arrived this week and as far as I can tell, I am very satisfied. The dates aren't a problem, infact they are exactly where they should be for my 12A build. Starter; Nov. 4, 1968. Generator; Oct. 18, 1968. Here's where I need help... I have no idea (or maybe I'm too lazy to research) what all the exterior components should be.

The one item that might confuse is my decision to go with the 1108361 Generator. This is because of a bulletin that addressed "Hot Cranking" issues. I have been assured this problem has been addressed with a "High Torque Configuration".

I would really appriciate any input you guys might have. Bare with me because there are 3 pics of each...Thanx.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 10:10:30 PM by IZRSSS »

IZRSSS

Re: Starter & Generator Help
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 09:17:29 PM »
Pics cont'd...

IZRSSS

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 09:18:32 PM »
Pics cont'd...

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 03:43:08 AM »
Are the solenoids rebuilt, new or correct for the application?  I got a correct solenoid for my 68z starter, put it in and it worked for a few months, then died.  I finally took it out and took it apart and found that big copper piece that connects to the starter was broken and I soldered it back.  If you have doubts, check it out while it's out.
68Z28

IZRSSS

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 04:54:30 AM »
The gentalmen I purchased these from has quite an inventory. I just had to tell him what my cars build date is, including engine & A/C and we decided on the correct dates. Once that was agreed upon, he completely rebuit the two components. So yes, they are rebuilt & are correct for the application.

Thanx for the heads-up on the copper piece.

Had a chance to take a closer look...however, none of these should be a concern. Your thoughts...

IZRSSS

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 04:55:29 AM »
&...

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 06:39:55 AM »
The NF is the Alt. code for that application.  I do not know if that's the correct one though.  I know what you mean on the parts, but I kind of figure unless your trying to get an out of the factory feel, a little wear and tear is ok. (ie. the parts look new but have been used)
68Z28

IZRSSS

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 12:13:50 PM »
Not sure what these are called but the #'s if I read them correctly are; 3 @ 380, 8/14, 466 & 3 @ 423, 8/10, 466. Can anyone tell me if these are correct? Also, the thing-a-ma-gig (I think thats the correct technical term) that looks damaged probably looks that way because of media blasting.

I'm guessing the NF is a inspection stamp.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 12:40:39 PM by IZRSSS »

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2011, 04:32:10 PM »

The "NF" is the broadcast code the assembly plant used to select the correct alternator - it was printed on the Broadcast Copy.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

OG69Z

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2011, 06:21:18 PM »
Hello,
  I believe the fan on the alternator is one of the newer versions. Please correct me if I am wrong. If it is a newer version, are these approved in judging?

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2011, 07:12:14 PM »
Marty,

If you're going toward originality, you should replace the starter solenoid with a correct "Delco Remy" embossed unit.

Paul   

IZRSSS

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2011, 07:21:20 PM »

The "NF" is the broadcast code the assembly plant used to select the correct alternator - it was printed on the Broadcast Copy.

Thank you John!

IZRSSS

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2011, 08:01:54 PM »
Paul,

I believe the solenoid is embossed & as for Delco Remy, the center inscription on the plastic casing was damaged and is no longer visible. It is also my understanding there were two solenoid suppliers. One who supplied the painted cased version, and one that sold the platted version. I might be wrong on both counts but again, this is my understanding...thanks for pointing this out!

OG69Z...good question & appreciate the input.

NOTE: I have stated my concerns to the gentlemen I purchased these from. He agreed on all counts & I will be sending them back to him. Boy its reassuring to know there are still great people left on whats becoming more and more like an environment/planet out of control. Thanx again guys... I'll be sure to post the replacements once I get them. So for now..."thats all I have to say about that ".

BTW Paul, I like your version better so this is what I'll be expecting.

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2011, 02:46:21 PM »
It is also my understanding there were two solenoid suppliers. One who supplied the painted cased version, and one that sold the platted version. I might be wrong on both counts but again, this is my understanding

All solenoids were manufactured by Delco-Remy - there was no outside supplier.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

IZRSSS

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2011, 02:40:34 AM »
John,

Were there two solenoid versions for the 69 SB...painted & platted casings, or only platted?

Thanx