Author Topic: Looking for my 1968 302 Camaro; Sequoia Green  (Read 5545 times)

djohnson

• View Profile
Looking for my 1968 302 Camaro; Sequoia Green
« on: August 03, 2011, 04:26:32 PM »
I am looking for my old 1968 302 Camaro that was Sequoia Green in color. It had numerous modifications including flared fender wells, molded rear spoiler, dual 650 Holly Channel Ram, headers and side pipes.  I have the license plate number but don't have the VIN.  Does anyone have info on this car or how I might find it?  I, also, have some photos. Thank you.

bertfam

• View Profile
Re: Looking for my 1968 302 Camaro; Sequoia Green
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 04:44:03 PM »
Without a VIN it's close to impossible to track a car down. What's the plate number?

Ed

buenymayor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 03:57:20 AM »
Might help to know where you sold it, too. Might help jog someones memory if they knew what part of the country it was located in.

djohnson

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 03:58:21 AM »
The original plate was a California Black plate with Yellow letters--XYD 372 or ZYD 372.  I have a photo of the rear of the car but the first digit is obscured a bit.  The plate was changed after it was bent in a minor rear end collision. I'm trying to locate the new plate number but the original is as stated above.  Thanks for your help.

djohnson

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 04:01:40 AM »
It was sold in 1974 in the San Fernando Valley, California.  I am contacting the DMV for an owner history, but they say on their website they only have records back to 1976.  I'm also going to contact my insurance company, at the time, to see if they have archives of their previous insureds.  Thanks for your help.

djohnson

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 05:35:18 AM »
I have attached some photos I scanned in of my Sequoia Green 302 Camaro.  The photos are old but still show the modifications.  The side pipes were not white as they look in the photos; they were brushed aluminum--the headers were white.  It had Koni shocks but I don't recall the differential--I think it was 3.08 or 3.73--I know it was rather high geared as it could run very fast in first gear  If anyone knows this car or, perhaps, the man who sold the car to me (who lived in Santa Monica or Torrance area), who used to road race the car, I'd sure appreciate any leads as I'm trying to track down the serial number.  I have other photos that include the interior if anyone is interested. Thanks.

Dan

GI JOE

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 09:47:28 PM »
You may be able to find your VIN by going to the town/city, assessors or tax collectors property/motor vehicle tax records and the DMV should still have the info as well.  In CT the towns taxed the motor vehicles and the Lic plate and VIN was part of that data. (However a new CT law is allowing the towns to destroy the long kept records that required no additional maintenance costs but some not very bright CT officials thought the records not worth keeping, probably the same idiots who thought the revolutionary war records should be thrown out too.  and yes they did that losing an extremely important part of our states and country's national history...)

Since you know the towns you lived in at the time you owned the car you will know where to start to investigate.  Most records are public records and asking nicely always helps.  Good luck and let us know if you find the VIN...

GI Joe
SFC GI JOE - Airborne Paratrooper
68- L-78, M22, BV
69- L-78, M22, BV, Conv

djohnson

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2011, 02:55:42 AM »
Thanks Joe--I'll try every avenue.  I'd love to try to buy the car back!!

Dan

LM69Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2011, 05:34:48 PM »
Dan
Did you run around the Granada Hills area in the car in the early 70's say 72-75? I recall several Camaros that were set up for road racing and actually bought a fiberglass cowl hood and some racing slicks from a guy in the GH area for my 68 RS/SS car, red on red with a white vinyl top
The photos of your old car sure looks familiar but that was a long time ago
Good luck
Michael Kellogg
LM69Z28 :)

djohnson

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2011, 04:59:34 AM »
Yes--I lived in Granada Hills--I owned the car from 1968-1973. My Camaro was set up for road racing; low to the ground, Indy tires, side pipes and road racing suspension. I did sell a black cowl hood that I made while working for a company that made fiberglass parts, primarily aftermarket VW parts.  I don't recall selling any slicks but may have had some road racing tires that I sold or gave away after I bought the Dunlop Racing tires that would fare much better in the rain.  The Firestone Indy tires I had weren't much good in wet weather and the Dunlops were great.  I must have sold the hood to you!!!  If you have any lead on my old car, please let me know!!!!

Thanks.

69z28302

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2011, 10:20:35 PM »
WOW! thats Day 2 Bad Ass! I've never seen an intake like that.

Mike

djohnson

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2011, 01:51:01 AM »
I realized I goofed and didn't notice there were some duplicate photos.  Here's some more photos for anyone that is interested or if they could help jog someone's memory.  Thanks.

Dan