Author Topic: 1967 N30 Steering Wheel  (Read 7738 times)

adjudimo

• View Profile
1967 N30 Steering Wheel
« on: July 06, 2011, 12:03:46 PM »
I have a 1967 Camaro with the N30 steering wheel that also has the two extra horn buttons on the upper spokes. This is not a column shif car, it is a floor shift automatic. The horn nor the turn signals work so I decided to repair them.  After removing the center horn cap and rubber ring I found nothing else below them. So I pulled the steering wheel off to check further. There are still wires that still go to the two other horn buttons present. The only thing I found was the turn signal switch setting on top of the metal part that has the bearing in it that sets on the shaft. I am not really sure what it is called. Looks like a hub of sorts. I noticed that in the AIM UPC 12/C2 page 176 it shows parts #1 spring, #2 eyelet, #3 insulator, #6 spring, #7 cam assembly, #16 cover that I just simply do not have. I am not even sure that this is representative of a deluxe wheel setup. I have done several internet searches and found nothing so far. I had already bought a wheel horn parts kit from NPD part number C-2800-50C for the deluxe steering wheel. I know I need to buy a new turn signal switch assembly and a horn contact cancel cam. Like I mentioned earlier, UPC 12 / C2 shows #1 spring, #2 eyelet, #3 insulator, #6 spring, #16 cover. I'm sorta lost at this point. I really don't know what else might be needed to get things right. Any help from you will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading! JR

big iron

• View Profile
Re: 1967 N30 Steering Wheel
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 06:31:01 PM »
JR,
I believe in 67 there where 3 types of steering wheels available and they all had center horn buttons.
Standard- a 3 spoke all plastic with center horn button.
Deluxe N30 - a 3 spoke plastic with a brushed metal cover and center horn button.
N34 - a 3 spoke of brushed metal with simulated wood outer ring and center horn button.
The steering wheel you are describing sounds like the 68 N30 Deluxe wheel that has 2 horn buttons.
The 67 AIM UPC 12 is correct for all 67 center horn button steering wheels.
Bob

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 07:07:01 PM »
Have you read the report on steering wheels?

http://www.camaros.org/swheel.shtml
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

adjudimo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 01:16:44 AM »
I appreciate your input. I did read the report and the steering wheel that I have is exactly like the one in the third row down of the pictures for 1967. The black one with polished chrome insert and rectangular horn buttons. Mine even has the incorrect SS center horn cap and looks exactly like the picture. Just wondering if you have any suggestions for obtaining the parts 1,2 3,6,7,16 listed in the UPC 12? Part 7 is the cam assembly and I see it listed at several vendors, but I can't seem to find the other parts. If someone has any pictures of this area, showing the assembly, please share them with me/us. Thanks for your time.

big iron

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 04:54:10 AM »
Thank you John, and now I know.
I can honestly say that I have never seen a 67 N30 option and GM produced 31,000 of them. Learn something new every day.
Someone should tell Ricks that they have the wrong picture of a 67 and 68 deluxe steering wheel.
Bob
JR ,
Sorry for the wrong info.
Ricks shows all your parts except for 6 and 16. They may have some used parts if you call them.

adjudimo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 07:55:13 AM »
I will call and try to find out. I will need to go ahead and order the horn contact cancel cam and a turn signal switch assembly. The spring and the cover are a total different story as you stated. I was also hoping that someone might even have a interchange part listing. My guess is that this was not a Camaro part only. I also need a good interchange manual myself, but don't know which one would be best to purchase.

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 10:56:03 AM »
I may have both 6 and 16.

adjudimo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 11:09:20 AM »
When you get a chance to look, if you have them and want to releive yourself from them, by all means; I will releive you of them. Just let me know. Thanks, JR 

Paul68RS/Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2011, 03:30:19 PM »
Several years ago, I pointed the mistake out to Rick's (when Rick still owned it) an was told I was wrong, I laughed. I had a Plane Jane 6 cylinder with the option and still have the original invoice showing the N30 option. Year One did the same thing. Great report, some how I missed it.

Thank you John, and now I know.
I can honestly say that I have never seen a 67 N30 option and GM produced 31,000 of them. Learn something new every day.
Someone should tell Ricks that they have the wrong picture of a 67 and 68 deluxe steering wheel.
Bob
JR ,
Sorry for the wrong info.
Ricks shows all your parts except for 6 and 16. They may have some used parts if you call them.

adjudimo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2011, 07:10:57 PM »
Yea, I have had several people argue that my wheel came off a Chevelle or something else, and almost call me a liar to my face. I tell them to check out this fantastic CRG site to check for themselves, but they just say anyone can print and put/post up anything. My reply back. Yes your right. Anyone can say, print, or do most anything. Especially if they are unimformed or live under a rock. So, Whats Your Excuse!

adjudimo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2011, 07:37:14 PM »
I really don't understand why vendors can't at least have someone check on statements like the one you contacted them about. It would only help sales and make them a more crediable source for parts. It is way to often that part numbers have been superceeded and even lost over time. The knowledge base of this site could be or should be one of their greatest contributors for getting things right. Thanks to Scott, I now have the necessary parts to finish and put my horn assembly back together. Just another example how this community is of service to others. Now since that is taken care of, I am trying to figure out my rear window defroster.  Harness was missing, so I got one from AAW and I have the origional blower. I now have to find the switch that goes under the dash. I know, probably never will! Always an ADVENTURE. LOL. Thanks for all your help. JR