Author Topic: 67 SS emblem measurements  (Read 10051 times)

Airbear

• View Profile
67 SS emblem measurements
« on: July 01, 2011, 04:11:20 PM »
Not sure if this is the correct place to post this but I'm trying to track down a few measurements for the placement of SS emblem on my 67 fenders.  I have the AIM and can get the placement for the rest of the holes but I need to establish the horizontal and vertical placement.  If there is anyone who could take a look at fenders with original holes and take measurements as shown in the photo for A, B, and C I would be grateful! I'd be interested in comparing the measurements between the left and right sides if possible also. The top edge of the paper has been placed on the center body line.  Hopefully this is clear as mud and posting the photo works. 

Thanks for any help!
Kevin

LB68SS350

• View Profile
Re: 67 SS emblem measurements
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 04:25:56 AM »
Kevin- You can get emblem template kits from Classic Headquarters. Their web address is www.classichq.com. I looked up the part numbers (you have to buy the whole kit, but it's only $22.00). For 67 SS350, it's W-702. For 67 SS396, it's W-703. The templates give dimensions for vertical and horizontal. I got a set several years ago for my 68 SS350. Worked out really well. Hope this helps.    Larry

Airbear

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 07:54:41 PM »
Thanks for the lead, Larry.

I was hoping not to have to spend the money just to get two measurements as I can put the rest together from the AIM.  Still would like to obtain these if anyone has a good candidate with original emblem hole placement.

Thank you!

Kevin

big iron

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 03:20:36 AM »
Kevin,
I believe you are using the 67AIM L48 A4. If you are, do you know what the circled 20 and -45 represents and how you find them?
I would be interested if anyone can explain.
For 11.00 per side in this case I would buy the templates.
Bob

flyingskibiker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 04:44:10 AM »
IMHO, I didn't find the '68 SS templates very easy to use.  They are just "OK" for accuracy...  I believe it is an issue with the print out.  They scale seems off...

Anyway, this is how the template maker say GM did it:

"When your Camaro was built, the assembly manual described nameplate and emblem location by referencing two surfaces.  Relating these surfaces to "X" and "Y" planes, "X" is from front to back or the horizontal plane while "Y" is in the vertical plane or from the floor to the roof of the car.

The zero line in the "X" plane is taken from the face of the fender mounting bkt.  All dimensions starting from there to the front of the vehicle are shown as a negative (-) and all dimensions from the face of the firewall to the rear of the vehicle are positive.

The zero line in the "Y" plane is an imaginary line established from the bottom edge of the front fender by the door.  All dimensions in the "Y" are positive."

big iron

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2011, 02:28:44 PM »
flyingskibiker,
Thanks for the reply.
Are you saying that, in regards to the templates,  the holes are off in relation to each other or the holes in general are off in relation to the fender?
Bob

Charley

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2011, 03:55:03 PM »
I looked at my 67 SS and dimension "A" is right at 1" on drivers side and maybe 1 1/8" on pass side. Dimension B-C were right on the body line on drivers side and maybe 1/8" on pass side.

Airbear

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2011, 06:51:55 PM »
I appreciate the help, Charley!  Thanks very much! ;D

flyingskibiker

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2011, 02:22:01 AM »
flyingskibiker,
Thanks for the reply.
Are you saying that, in regards to the templates,  the holes are off in relation to each other or the holes in general are off in relation to the fender?
Bob

Both, as I recall.  Like I said, it was as if the print had been shrunk in scale...  Its not off by much.  But there is even two lines that say "0" and "5" from 0" and they are really more like 4 15/16" appart!

Airbear

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 05:13:19 PM »
Bob;
Yes I'm using L48-A4 from the AIM.  As it's been explained to me, the 20 and the 45 on the page refer to 45 inches forward of the mating surface of the fender where it mounts to the firewall.  The 20 is essentially 4.66 inches below the mounting surface where the fender bolts to the radiator support.  If you refer to 11-13 B8 of the AIM you get a description of this, somewhat.  The radiator support mount on the fender is listed as 24.66" (from the ground) so then 20 would be 4.66" lower than that if that makes sense.  To make a long story short, I used this explanation and used a square and a dial caliper (yes I'm anal!) and the holes came out nice and straight, but about 3/4" above the body line.  Not where they appear to be on original cars for the most part. I was extremely careful in my measurements, and they came out the same from the left to the right fenders, just much higher than I thought they should be.  The result was 12 holes welded shut and more metal finishing to get the fenders smooth again!

The one car I've seen in person that I've taken measurements from only had one side that was reliable due to damage on the driver's side.  Those measurements are basically what Charley has posted-I got 1" from the leading edge of the fender to the edge of the forward most "S" and 1/8" for measurement B and .2" for measurement C on the attached photo.

I've also read reports of questionable accuracy from the templates, so that was another reason for wanting to just do it by comparison.  The hardest thing seems to be that the emblems are not parallel with the body line but I think I'll be able to work it out.

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2011, 05:48:07 PM »
 I made my own template. The result was like Charlie's info. It centered in the stripe so you can't screw it up anyway. If you make your own template you ensure the studs will match the holes.

Airbear

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2011, 05:23:28 PM »
I guess I have to do it the hard way.  New sheetmetal didn't come with holes or stripes.

Thanks for the help everyone!  I think I have enough info to get out the drill bits again...

Kevin