Author Topic: Alternator Bracket Clamp for Ground Cable  (Read 4277 times)

tmodel66

• View Profile
Alternator Bracket Clamp for Ground Cable
« on: June 16, 2011, 04:44:46 PM »
I read somewhere that the clamp on the alternator bracket for the ground cable was hit and miss on '69. I've looked in Jerry's book and most pictures for the Z28 show it in place but over in the Big Block section some are harnessed to the heater hose with a tie strap. My June built L48 doesn't have a clamp and it's the bracket that came on the engine and has only one  hole with threads cut in it for the bracket to hold the heater hoses. Can anybody post a picture so I can see where to put my tie strap? Doe's the ground cable just hang out in the wind til it comes over to meet the heater hoses where it goes down to the thermostat housing?

Thanks
Daniel  
'69 SS 350/4 speed  Fathom Green--POP

IZRSSS

Re: Alternator Bracket Clamp for Ground Cable
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 05:10:44 PM »
Daniel,

The photo's are of a Vintage Certified 69 L48 owned by Paceme that I feel fortunate to have. My car, Dec. 68 build has the same patterned holes on the alternator bracket as this one. Hopefull Steve will hone in & give you his build date so you can narrow it down...just in case there is a change over in design.

While we're on the subject of battery cable retainer clips...can anyone tell me how to set the rivet without buying a special tool just for one?

IZRSSS

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 11:04:38 PM »
Never mind on jimmying the clamp. I'll just take it over to the local body shop & have it done right.

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 02:54:20 PM »
Never mind on jimmying the clamp. I'll just take it over to the local body shop & have it done right.

Just position the clamp with the tubular portion in the hole, and use a scratch awl through the hole in the clamp and a hammer to spread the tubular portion; in the plant we used a burp-gun with a pointed mandrel in it.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

IZRSSS

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 03:14:56 PM »
You gave me an idea...my buffer has a tapered spindle. I think I'll use it and gently tap it into the hole until it flares just enough to hold it in place.

Thanks again John!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 04:49:38 PM by IZRSSS »

m22mike

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 12:23:42 PM »
As some of you already know those repo ground clamps are a PITA  to get installed tight enough. I use something tapered, like John mentioned, I have some small drift punches that work OK for flaring the tube. What I have done to secure them is I use black 3M or Permatex weatherstripping cement under the clamp as I intsall them. And I lightly clamp them in place for several days. The cement sticks well and will handle the minor vibration from the cable. A word of caution, if your using rattle can paint it my eat that junk right up.
 Whem I have OE clips installed on frames and brackes, and they are very tight, I leave them in place, even tape them off while media blasting.

Mike
X66 L78 M22 4.10 Deluxe Threads, PNT 10/10, Red Hockey stripe

IZRSSS

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2011, 04:02:36 PM »
Thanks Mike...good advise!

IZRSSS

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2011, 04:08:02 PM »
Daniel,

You probably figured out the correct Alternator Braket by now but just in case...the one pictured above is the only one found in the AIM.

anything