Author Topic: What's the correct paint procedure for the inside lower valance?  (Read 17255 times)

nuch_ss396

• View Profile
When I restored my 69 Camaro back in the early 1980's, we didn't spray in inside of the front lower valance panel hugger orange ( except over spray ).  More and more
I notice cars with the inside painted with varying degrees of coverage.  So, what is the correct procedure?  How was this operation performed at the factory?  How
far should the exterior color cover in inside areas?  How dense should the color actually be?

Would anyone have image(s) showing a good example of the correct coverage?  I am going to attempt to remove the grill, etc. in an effort to gain access to these
areas.  While I am at it, I am going to extend my D/90 striping the "correct" one inch or so below the split on the lower fender panel.  This was the way the early
build cars were done.  I missed that one as well in 1980.... :P

I'm still hoping for a post of a good image of the correct way the early D/90 stripes were done on the lower fender area..

Steve
« Last Edit: June 03, 2006, 04:11:39 AM by nuch_ss396 »
69 SS 396, Hugger Orange, D/80, D/90
Chambered Exhaust, N/66, THM400, 3:73 posi

Steve A.
  CRG

JohnSSL78

• View Profile
Re: What's the correct paint procedure for the inside lower valance?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2006, 11:27:19 PM »
Steve, what was the time frame the stripe extended lower? I noticed this on several pictures after I recently repainted mine as well and thought this was just done wrong. My car is a 11C of 68 Norwood built car.

John

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2006, 07:26:33 PM »
None of the exterior color-painted front sheet metal panels (hood, fenders, header, valance, fender extensions) had color on the inside; they were hung on a front end "buck" conveyor carrier in approximate car position with several inches between panels, and the valance panel outer surface faced upwards. Any color on the inside surfaces was overspray from spraying the edges. The inside surfaces were semi-gloss black flow-coat primer.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

nuch_ss396

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006, 10:44:41 PM »
John,

I believe right around your build date was the cut off point.  Let me research it a little more.

Steve

Steve A.
  CRG

x77-69z28

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2006, 01:15:12 AM »
john z, the front lower valance on my 67 rs/ss is painted yelllow and still has the run number written in orange crayon. since i am a computer illiterate, if you send me your email address i will send you a photo or two. the front lower fender extentions are black with an "R" to denote rallye sport.
69 Z/28 X77 burnished brown, 711 int 05A bought in 78
70 Z28 forrest green, green int, M40, bk vinyl roof PROJECT
99 SS hugger orange 6spd NO TTOPS bought new 1 of 54
15 z/28 Arctic white, A/C 505 HP #251

nuch_ss396

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2006, 04:46:37 AM »
John,

I believe right around your build date was the cut off point. Let me research it a little more.

Steve

John,

My research indicates that 11B ( +/- one week ) may have been the cut-off point for the extended stripe.

This is a famous image from back in the day.  You can clearly see the extended stripe details in this shot.
Notice how the forward most pin stripe stops at the bumper cutout.  This had been disputed in the past.

Steve

Steve A.
  CRG

nuch_ss396

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2006, 02:40:32 PM »
None of the exterior color-painted front sheet metal panels (hood, fenders, header, valance, fender extensions) had color on the inside; they were hung on a front end "buck" conveyor carrier in approximate car position with several inches between panels, and the valance panel outer surface faced upwards. Any color on the inside surfaces was overspray from spraying the edges. The inside surfaces were semi-gloss black flow-coat primer.

John,

Did anyone ever take pictures of any of these processes?  I personally would love to see how this, and many other processes were done. 
In lieu of pictures, think you could make a sketch or two showing how this arrangement was laid-out for painting?

Steve

Steve A.
  CRG

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2006, 04:55:29 PM »

John,

Did anyone ever take pictures of any of these processes?  I personally would love to see how this, and many other processes were done. 
In lieu of pictures, think you could make a sketch or two showing how this arrangement was laid-out for painting?

Steve

I don't have any photos of the Chevrolet sheet metal paint process, although I saw it in production many times (who knew it would be of interest 37 years later?); just visualize a complete car set of front sheet metal on a floor-mounted conveyor carrier, with the panels mounted in car position, with about a 5"-6" gap between the edges of the hood and fenders (to get color on the vertical surface of the fender reinforcement) and a 2"-3" gap between the other panels.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

nuch_ss396

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2006, 06:04:01 PM »
So John,

What explains the confusion and why some restored Camaros have the inside of the lower front valance painted body color?

What are your thoughts about the yellow '67 RS/SS mentioned in this thread?  Would there have been any way for the painter
to get "creative" and paint the inside of the front valance in question if they wanted to?  Based on your process description, I
can't see how that would be possible.  Still,there are questions.....................  

Steve

Steve A.
  CRG

JohnSSL78

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2006, 02:30:02 AM »
Thanks for the info Steve. Glad I won't have to go back and redo the stripes!

John

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2006, 02:58:34 PM »
So John,

What explains the confusion and why some restored Camaros have the inside of the lower front valance painted body color?

What are your thoughts about the yellow '67 RS/SS mentioned in this thread?  Would there have been any way for the painter
to get "creative" and paint the inside of the front valance in question if they wanted to?  Based on your process description, I
can't see how that would be possible.  Still,there are questions.....................  

Steve

You're likely to see almost anything on a restored car, as most people spending big bucks for a paint job won't settle for original factory paint coverage and paint all surfaces. Very few variations are seen on original factory paint, as it took extra time and effort to paint surfaces other than those specified, and used more (expensive) paint to do so.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2006, 06:39:46 PM »
The inside of the body panels on every unrestored car that I have ever seen have only had a light mist on them.
I am working on an unrestored original paint 69 RS Z right now that has very light paint on the edges of the front fenders and front upper valence.
I was wondering about this until I saw JohnZ's post above regarding the front end bucks and the 2-3" spacing of the panels from one another.
It all makes perfect sense now. The edges of the fenders valence and hood all look correct when taking into account the spacing of the panels.

JohnZ you are right about the reaction that most peolple paying for a high end resto would have if their car came back with misted paint on the edges of the front fenders or what about the grind marks on the edge of the front and rear glass channels where the leaded seams are, or the runs in the door jambs?
Even the paint bleeding under the edge of the masking for the Z stripes... Guys would have a fit if the cars were restored to the same quality as when they left the factory.
I have stated numerous times that if you were to go back to 1969 and buy a brand new camaro, transport it to present day and enter it in a car show... It wouldn't even place.
James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

nuch_ss396

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2006, 02:36:43 AM »

I have stated numerous times that if you were to go back to 1969 and buy a brand new camaro, transport it to present day and enter it in a car show... It wouldn't even place.

I would have to absolutely agree.  Did anyone see the COPO car at the Forge two years ago.  It was white with stickers all over it.  Anyway, the fenders were fitted as they
came from the factory.  I was shocked at the mismatch in spacing.  Bad hangover for some line worker I'm sure......

Steve A.
  CRG

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2006, 02:30:42 PM »
That COPO was at Super Chevy in ATL last weekend.
Here is a link to some pics of the Black 04C 69 RS Z that I was talking about in an earlier post.

http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=81626
James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

x77-69z28

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2006, 01:44:18 AM »
john z.send me your email address. i would like to send you a pic of the original paint on the inside of the lower valance from my 67 rs-ss. it still has the original run number in orange crayon.
thanks
69 Z/28 X77 burnished brown, 711 int 05A bought in 78
70 Z28 forrest green, green int, M40, bk vinyl roof PROJECT
99 SS hugger orange 6spd NO TTOPS bought new 1 of 54
15 z/28 Arctic white, A/C 505 HP #251

anything