Author Topic: Seeking help decoding possible 69 R/s Z/28 Export Broadcast Sheet....  (Read 7654 times)

hubleyman

• View Profile
Hello Guys!!
I posted this question on the SuperCar Registry site and they suggested I post it here as well (please excuse my copy and paste laziness............) :
"OK you Whiz-Kids, let's test your Braintrust on this one. Twenty-plus years ago I acquired a Los Angeles built 69 R/S Z/28 from the 2nd owner who brought the car back from Germany. Over the years I have tried to determine if this was originally an Export car or just one that was shipped over after it was sold in the USA. The previous owner (Charlie Brown was his actual name) told me had to swap out the Kilometer speedo to a MPH speedo in order to get it registered in the USA upon it's return, but I have no proof of that.
I managed to save about 2/3rds of the Chassis Broadcast sheet from the gas tank and many codes are still legible (after many hours of careful resurrection).
So, are there any specific codes on the Broadcast sheet that would tell me it was an Export? I've heard that they may have used a different sway bar and perhaps other HD parts? I'm open to ideas here........
And just for FYI, it's a Burgundy, flat hood, white stripes, black deluxe interior car. And unfortunately, the original 302 was exploded on the AutoBahn.....
Put on your thinking caps please !!!"
The car and the actual Broadcast sheet are deeply buried away at the moment so I can't run out and check any details.  The photo of the Sheet I have is partially legible so maybe I can check codes on that for now?
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!  Charlie

Z71

• View Profile
    • Amsoil Jobber
Cannot tell anything.  If you could make a better copy so its readable then maybe someone can tell you a few things but as it is, I cannot read a thing.

Maybe in 2 parts??
Mike
Owned new (and still have stashed away) LOL
1966 Impala SS396
1970 Chevelle SS454
1972 El Camino SS350
1973 Chevelle SS350
2002 Trans Am WS6 Ram Air

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
What's on the bottom next to the 5712 code?

If you would, can you send me as large a version of that picture as you have? KurtS2@peoplepc.com

Like Mark said, all export cars originated out of NOR, so it was probably shipped over later.

Thanks!
Kurt S
CRG

Edgemontvillage

• View Profile
Re: Seeking help decoding possible 69 R/s Z/28 Export Broadcast Sheet....
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2006, 08:51:38 PM »
Recently there was a '69 Camaro listed on eBay which was supposedly imported from Germany(sorry I don't have the particlars of the listing). The listing included a close-up picture of the trim tag which varied from non-export use cars in that it was missing the script certifying that vehicle conforms to all federal motor vehicle safely standards. The trim tag was blank in this area.This non standard trim tag detail may be a bit obvious however worth checking out.

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2006, 12:39:12 AM »
It's a body broadcast sheet, not a chassis sheet.  The cope at the bottom isn't 5712, its 5ZL2AA, its the code for the cowl induction hood.  There wasn't anyplace else for it on the Body broadcast Sheet.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2006, 12:41:59 AM by Mark »
Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

hubleyman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2006, 01:21:34 AM »
Hello again,
Been out of touch for a while but got an email this item was brought up again so I thought I better respond.
This sheet is definitely the CHASSIS Broadcast sheet and not the BODY broadcast sheet.  I haven't been able to get to the car or the sheet lately (like I said, it's really stashed away) or I would get a better photo and breakdown of the details to you guys (be patient).  The code at the bottom is 5712 followed by two letters, A and one I cannot see clearly in my current photo.  I was under the impression that this would be the same code for the interior (in this case 712, blk custom) that would be shown on the window sticker, etc.(i.e. 5712AA)  The two letters apply to the ECL codes that follow the option codes.
After checking the CHASSIS sheets for some of my other 69 LA built Camaros, I finally noticed that section 148 on line #1 says "EXP PREP" which might be a good indicator for an EXPORT PREPARATION vehicle?  Unfortunately, that portion of the Z/28 sheet did not survive.  I'm agreeing that it was most likely not an export vehicle due to the LA build instead of Norwood, but you always hope to find some exception to the rule........ (i.e., needle in the haystack).
Thanks for your help and I'll try to get more info sometime in the near future....  Charlie

anything