Author Topic: More Follow-up on Engine Overspray - specifically 302 Z28s  (Read 6030 times)

Dave69x33

• View Profile
I recently pulled my engine in my 69 Z to fix some oil leaks and freshen up the paint.  This naturally led me to check CRG for the latest on engine detailing.

I have a follow-up "engine overspray" question on the fuel pump mounting plate (ref. the AIM, Sec C6, page 99, covering the fuel pump and pump to carb fuel line installation).  Since the fuel pump plate was installed at the Chevrolet Final Assembly plant, on engine dress-up line, is it safe to assume the fuel pump mounting plate was not painted Chevy Orange?  Was it painted black or left natural steel?

Here are pictures of the plate from my 302.  The inside edge shows signs it was black at one time, but I don't know if this was from a previous owner's work on the engine.

Dave69x33

• View Profile
Re: More Follow-up on Engine Overspray - specifically 302 Z28s
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 12:39:42 AM »
By the way, here are some pictures of overspray on the back and back corner on a 69Z aluminum intake.  This is a friend’s survivor, late Norwood 10D build 69Z that has been in his family since new.   

Notice the hint of Chevy Orange on the back of the intake area near the distributor hold down clamp, which was not painted orange.

I have run across other discussions on CRG about overspray on the base of the distributor and hold down clamp.  I recall JohnZ mentioning that a “coffee can” was used to mask the distributor from the Chevy Orange, which appears to be the situation with the my pictures.

Does anyone have pictures of engine overspray on a recent restoration that has been through judging?  How did it judge on this issue? 

tmodel66

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 01:11:30 AM »
My engine was old and dirty when I pulled it out but the distributor housing had a good bit of over spray around the hold down shoulder and up on the housing a couple inches. It was mostly on the transmission side too like it was just sprayed from back side.  Hope this helps.
Daniel  
'69 SS 350/4 speed  Fathom Green--POP

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 05:20:32 PM »
The fuel pump mounting plate was normally installed as unpainted raw steel. The Chevrolet Central Office Paint Standards Department issued a "Painted Parts List" to the assembly plant Paint Superintendents which identified the raw parts whiich were to be primed black in the plant's small parts paint system; if a part wasn't on that list, it wasn't supposed to be painted.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

Dave69x33

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 01:26:57 AM »
Interesting JohnZ, thanks for the input.  Do you know how they judge this on Corvette's?

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 04:18:03 PM »
Interesting JohnZ, thanks for the input.  Do you know how they judge this on Corvette's?

Yes - in NCRS Flight Judging, we expect to see the mounting plate unpainted.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG