Author Topic: Engine photos  (Read 119386 times)

1109RWHP

• View Profile
Re: Engine photos
« Reply #120 on: October 21, 2016, 04:15:59 AM »
You are killing me with these pictures!!! WOW!  Looks like it is made from clay and not wood. You can see the rectangular vents in the hood that were in your previously posted pictures of the prototype. I always wondered why Ford never ran any kind of scoop.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 22, 2016, 05:04:24 AM »
Does a '68 Mustang hood fit properly on a '69 Mustang?
Jon Mello
CRG

1109RWHP

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 22, 2016, 05:07:41 PM »
No, not even close. Why?

1109RWHP

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 22, 2016, 05:12:35 PM »
I noticed how the mocked up scoop goes all the way back and covers the air intake grill on the cowl. I wonder if they were thinking of connecting the air box to the cowl and using scoops at the front of the hood to feed it. Does not look like it would open correctly with the piece over the cowl vent. Looks like it would hit it.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 22, 2016, 08:51:05 PM »
No, not even close. Why?

I thought you were saying the depressions that are on the blue '68 hood were filled on the '69 Mustang with the clay scoop/raised area.  I guess I was not picking up on what exactly you were pointing out.

I would agree that there seems to be no way that the '69 hood could open properly unless they had some special hinges that moved it forward before proceeding upward.  I would think the whole reason for the raised area would be to clear a tall induction setup.  If you want to take in air at the cowl, just put a scoop there and forget about the hood.  You don't really even need a scoop at the cowl as the high pressure is already there without a scoop assisting it.
Jon Mello
CRG

1109RWHP

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 22, 2016, 09:47:17 PM »
The blue 69 prototype has two rectangular pieces of sheet metal riveted to the hood like they covered up some holes. Not sure what for but you can see them clayed over in the cowl hood picture.

Steve Holmes

• View Profile
    • The Roaring Season
« Reply #126 on: October 22, 2016, 10:51:36 PM »
The blue 69 prototype has two rectangular pieces of sheet metal riveted to the hood like they covered up some holes. Not sure what for but you can see them clayed over in the cowl hood picture.

Those two hood plates are more visible here with paint on. Its these plates that were one of the reasons I thought the car posted earlier without paint is likely this car. This photo was taken in December 1968.

Fran Hernandez Collection photo.

PHAT69AMX

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 27, 2019, 07:14:29 PM »
Some pictures of the AMC UR-18 Tunnel Ram 2x4 Holley Dominator Individual Runner Intake Manifold.
Upper left b&w photo shows AMC PART NUMBER 4488023 from 1970 ? FIA SCCA Homologlation papers.
Surprised no specification for approved Carburetors for any of the intake manifolds are in the FIA Papers ?...
Other pictures were collected from posts on The AMC Forum.
In bottom 2 photos it's not obvious, but both carb flanges have been milled down quite a bit for some reason.
There is what appears to be an underhood photo as a still in this recently uploaded vintage slide show YouTube Video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDof6KNkNz0

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 28, 2019, 05:34:17 PM »
Thanks for the tunnel ram pics.  Your link did not work for me as far as seeing an underhood still photo.
Jon Mello
CRG

Trans Åm

• CA Central valley
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 29, 2019, 06:54:15 AM »
Could he be talking about the shadowed picture at 9:41 in that video? You can't see the intake or carb at all though.
Nick

satman

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 30, 2019, 06:02:05 PM »
I can remember being at the 69 race in Quebec and the local track officials made plywood templates of the bodies for tech inspection but
SCCA decided not to use them I wonder why. (LOL)

Also 50 years ago in 1969 we were contracted by Ford Motor Company to use our Camaro as a Camera Car at Riverside the final race of the year if anyone would like some details of that story let me know and I will whip something up.

Al

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 30, 2019, 11:48:21 PM »
Al, for sure we would love to hear your story and I see you have posted that here...  http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=17891.0.
Jon Mello
CRG

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 03, 2019, 07:06:21 PM »
Some pictures of the AMC UR-18 Tunnel Ram 2x4 Holley Dominator Individual Runner Intake Manifold.
Upper left b&w photo shows AMC PART NUMBER 4488023 from 1970 ? FIA SCCA Homologlation papers.
Surprised no specification for approved Carburetors for any of the intake manifolds are in the FIA Papers ?...
Other pictures were collected from posts on The AMC Forum.
In bottom 2 photos it's not obvious, but both carb flanges have been milled down quite a bit for some reason.
There is what appears to be an underhood photo as a still in this recently uploaded vintage slide show YouTube Video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDof6KNkNz0

Phat--
Thanks for the photos! I do have a comment though…it appears this is a tunnel ram intake (with the small plenum), not a true IR intake, like Ford used in 1969. Am I seeing it incorrectly?
Just another T/A fanatic. Current lifelong projects:
1968 Olds 442 W-30
1969 Mustang Fastback w a Can-Am 494 (Boss 429)

Trans Åm

• CA Central valley
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 12, 2019, 06:56:18 AM »
Yes Al, I know my post is rather late, but I'd love to hear you speak about that experience. :)
Nick

PHAT69AMX

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 22, 2019, 06:07:06 PM »
crossboss - I'm a little "fuzzy" on details...  It appears UR-18 was an individual Runner Dominator Flanged Manifold, and then there was the UR-11 "piece" which went on top an made a plenum area above the Individual Runner UR-18...  But this is only from looking at pictures, not actual on-hand parts.  I also do not have a period catalog to look at for information.  Also have seen pictures of one that appears shorter than the UR-18, but don't know if it was modified or what.