Author Topic: Wiring diagrams  (Read 9348 times)

68Zproject

• View Profile
Wiring diagrams
« on: April 23, 2011, 05:14:19 AM »
Is there a different source for some of the wiring diagrams for the front engine harness on the 68 with idiot lights?  I have the AIM and all the chassis manuals.  All the front light diagrams show some wires that don't match mine and the problem seems to be they are for gauge cars.  I'm trying to see what wires go to the horn relay and voltage regulator (colors and sizes).  Also is there a source for a single fuse-able link wire? ???
68Z28

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Wiring diagrams
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 02:54:56 PM »
<<Also is there a source for a single fuse-able link wire? >>

Any decent auto parts store should have fusible link wire in various gauges; fusible links are always two wire sizes (four numbers) smaller than the circuit they protect (i.e., a 10-gauge feed wire takes a 14-ga. fusible link).
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 05:17:13 PM »
The AIM and Chassis Service Manual are for the idiot lights. The only way to get the schematic for gauges is to get the 1967-69 CAMARO RS CONSOLE GAUGE & HEADLIGHT WIRING DIAGRAM MANUAL.

Ed

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 09:58:58 PM »
Any decent auto parts store should have fusible link wire in various gauges; fusible links are always two wire sizes (four numbers) smaller than the circuit they protect (i.e., a 10-gauge feed wire takes a 14-ga. fusible link).

I'm looking for the 16W to 20 ORG that comes off the alternator fusible link shown in the AIM.  Would an auto parts place have something that exact?
68Z28

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 10:04:38 PM »
The AIM and Chassis Service Manual are for the idiot lights. The only way to get the schematic for gauges is to get the 1967-69 CAMARO RS CONSOLE GAUGE & HEADLIGHT WIRING DIAGRAM MANUAL.

Ed

The thing that confuses me is if you follow the 20 ORG fusible link to 14B/W wire from the horn relay, it goes to the console gauge harness for the ammeter gauge.  The idiot light cars shouldn't have that on it.
68Z28

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011, 03:38:06 AM »
Wiring is very confusing for me (or at least the original Chevrolet diagrams are very confusing to me), but I believe the front harness bulkhead connector was keyed for both with and without gauges, but depending on what the car came with (idiot lights or guages) was where the change was made. In this case, the bulkhead connector for the idiot lights or the amp gauge entered the car at location "BS" for both, and was a 14 gauge Black/White wire.

If the car came with the Amp gauge, the fuse panel continued with the 14 gauge Black/White wire going to one side of the amp gauge, then back to the fuse panel from the other side of the Amp gauge with a 14 gauge Black wire that went to location "AS" on the bulkhead connector, then finally back to the junction block.

Idiot light cars also had the 14 gauge Black/White wire at location "BS" on the bulkhead connector, but this turned into a 16 gauge Brown wire out of the fuse box that went to the Generator light (and a 24 gauge Brown/White going to the ignition switch).

It's all very confusing, but I believe the 14 guage Black/White wire coming from the 20 guage Orange fusible link was used no matter if you had idiot lights or guages. The change was made inside the car at the fuse panel.

Ed

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2011, 05:23:16 PM »
Thanks Ed.  I can trace and follow the wires.  Trouble is I'm working with something that had been moved around here or there.  The car came with idiot lights and someone added console gauges and put in some weird stuff under the dash.  I bought the conversion harness to fix this.  Then I figured out the gauges weren't original and so I'm going back to idiot lights.  Instead of the P wire going to the VR, I have a BRN one.  Instead of the BRN one going to the horn relay, I have a P one.  I just wanted to see if there was another source that would list the wires as they should be for just an idiot light car.  What I plan on doing is taking the harness out of the car, taking the wrap off and starting all over and wanted my harness to look like the way it originally came.  I know I could buy a harness, but the one I got for the engine side didn't match my old one 100% so I took the wires I needed and put them in the original harness.  Kind of a spendy way to get correct wires though.
68Z28