Author Topic: '68 mutt  (Read 4617 times)

MrRyan

• View Profile
'68 mutt
« on: May 26, 2006, 08:15:51 PM »
I have a 68 Camaro and that’s about all I know about it.  I bought it from a guy restoring it, but his shop was broken into and most of the lose parts were stolen.  So the car has no VIN tag and no plate on the firewall.  Before he striped the paint it had 327 on the front.  But there was a 305 motor in it and SS badges.  The car was one heck of a mutt.  The only major parts of the car with markings left are the automatic transmission,

CB67-  11530

and the rear axle,

PG  1221?1
     E

From my research the trans is a Turbo Hydra-Matic 400, and the rear axle is a posi 3.07.  Can anyone give me any other info?  Mainly did my trans go with a 327 or was that put in with the 305 most likely?  Are there any other markings on the car I could use to help me ID it with out the motor VIN or trim tag?

Thanks

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
Re: '68 mutt
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2006, 01:58:52 AM »
Lots of mutts turn out to be great drivers.  Got one myself.

And I quote (from General Information):

"Critical printed references that the CRG recommends that you investigate include the following:
Alan L. Colvin's Chevrolet By The Numbers, The Essential Chevrolet Parts Reference, 1965-69, Robert Bentley, Inc., 1994. ISBN 0-876-0956-9
This is the "bible" of major vehicle components. Separate chapters are included for each of: engine, crankshaft, head, rod, piston, carburetor, intake manifold, exhaust manifold, water pump, distributor, camshaft, alternator, transmission, rear axle/differential, wheels, and Rochester fuel injection. This has had various printings, each with slightly updated and/or corrected information. As of August 1998 the latest printing of this volume was the 1997 4th printing - look at the rear of the book to find a printing difference summary. The major limitation of this work is that it only covers V-8 engined models, though certain components are also applicable to vehicles with L-6 engines.
Chevrolet Camaro Assembly Manual (for your year of interest)
Available as a reprint from the major Camaro parts suppliers. Loose-leaf versions are often preferred for insertion in a three-ring binder."

But now I understand why you asked about the mythical 327 SS in your first post.
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

anything