Author Topic: Allowed/Required Modifications for 1967 TransAm Cars  (Read 10288 times)

rick50

• View Profile
Allowed/Required Modifications for 1967 TransAm Cars
« on: March 10, 2011, 07:08:56 PM »
First, I would like to say this a great addition to the CRG forum.   After all, transam racing is what created what we now know as the Z/28.

As this is my first post here, I would like to say that I was in the hobby from 1988-1994 and had acquired 3 Z/28s in that time period along with a few other Chevrolet muscle cars.  Mostly,  reliving dreams of cars that I couldn't have when I was a teenager.   I sold all of my cars in 1994 to get into racing.   However, I still have an early (cast date 12-16-66, build date 1-5-67) 1967 MO block that I have had since the late 80s.   I've recently renewed my search trying to find the car that goes with my block.

I have looked, in the past, for rules pertaining to  allowed and/or required modifications to factory cars in 1967 to be able to compete in the transam series.  Would anyone happen to know where this information might be or could,perhaps, scan and post here?   

Again, thank you Jon for starting this discussion.  I am sure many will enjoy the information gathered here.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Allowed/Required Modifications for 1967 TransAm Cars
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 03:06:49 AM »
Thanks, Rick. Great to have you join in. I hope we can someday figure out whose car your block belongs to.

As for the rules for Trans-Am, the http://www.sovren.org/ website used to have them posted for 1967 and 1969 but I looked today and they're no longer there. I believe I have all the GCRs (General Competition Rules) for SCCA Trans-Am from 1967 to 1972 but it will take me a while to get them all posted. Maybe if somebody out there has certain years scanned, they can post them more quickly than I can.
Jon Mello
CRG

OCTARD

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 05:14:49 AM »
Hello Rick,

Though a few on this forum probably have the 1967 SCCA General Competition Rules for Trans-Am (and A-Sedan), it's a fairly large document.  I haven't digitally scanned the book, but others may chime in that have.

Here are a couple links from the Corinthian Vintage Auto Racing (CVAR) website, where they have taken excerpts of the 1967 SCCA GCR applicable to the Trans-Am and A-Sedan classes.  Any CVAR clarifications are inserted in italics after each GCR line item.  Thus, if you ignore the italics, it's much the same as the original GCRs.

MS Word Document of 1967 SCCA GCRs (with CVAR clarifications)

Google Doc Conversion (viewable without needing MS Word installed)

I hope this helps.

-Chad 

rick50

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 06:44:29 PM »
Thanks Jon and Chad for your replies..............that did answer a lot of questions I had.

I have been following a build for a 1967 Camaro  STX autocross car being built by a guy named Jason Rhoades from So Cal.  From what i have been able to gather from his build, I find it hard to believe it was as technical back then as it is now.   If you would like to follow his build, you can find it here  http://www.rhoadescamaro.com/build/  Jason has put a lot of thought into suspension and powertrain while doing this build.

Again, many thanks for your help.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 05:11:43 AM »
Thanks for the link, Rick. Some things of interest there. Obviously, a lot has been learned in the
course of 40 years since the heyday of Trans-Am, plus some things back then were just not allowed.
Jon Mello
CRG

j-rho

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 06:12:33 AM »
Hi Rick,
Doubtful any of that Trans-Am stuff is going to be legal in STX ;)

A great group of folks here, a lot of my pre-purchase research was performed quietly on this site.  If it weren't for the high quality of data available, I might not have had enough to go on to make the purchase.

Jason

OCTARD

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 09:08:51 AM »
Hello Jason,

That's a great site you have going on the build of your '67 Camaro.  I'll surely check the site and your progress often.

When I read about your Muncie popping out of third gear upon decel, I thought I should mention that you can probably fix that for good with a set of "torque lock" (some say "hook lock") sliders:

http://www.thegearbox.org/catalog/item/3864782/3547824.htm

I used to have the same problem in my old vintage Trans-Am Camaro (Muncie M21) until I switched to "torque lock" sliders.

It seems from your site that you're not sure about sticking with the Muncie transmission, but I think they're a great piece.  I've been vintage racing my Camaro for 11 years now, and have only done a couple rebuilds to the transmission in all that time.  I own or have driven other cars with well built T10s or Ford Top-Loaders, and the Muncie in my Camaro has a better shift feel than any of them.

-Chad

j-rho

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 07:11:50 PM »
Hi Chad,
I have to stick with whatever transmission was originally available for the car, and I believe the '67 Z28s only came with the M21.  I'm not sure if my trans is an M21 or not, haven't had a look at it in a while.  I can rebuild it to new specs, but am not allowed to perform any performance-enhancing modifications to it, things like those fancy sliders.  That part has to be all essentially factory.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 08:38:25 PM »
Hey Rick,

Just wanted to let you know in case you hadn't seen it already, that I put the rules for the '67 season here.  I've also got the other years in there as well so if you feel like doing some reading you can figure out when they started allowing things like aftermarket intake manifolds, dry sump oiling, etc.
Jon Mello
CRG