Author Topic: august 1969 norwood built camaro does anybody have an original vin decal?  (Read 15318 times)

BULLITT65

• View Profile
I Heard from John Z among others that in september 0f 69 all camaros got the vin decal applied to thier cars. My question : DOES ANY CAMARO OWNER OUT THERE HAVE A NORWOOD AUGUST BUILT CAMARO WITH THE ORIGINAL VIN DECAL?

NOTE: I do have jerrys book and have seen the posts concerning the pic with vin 671208, I have been unable to verify this as an original vin sticker and have multiple people tell me this sticker is reproduction as well as his dx tire sticker. So I put the question out there to our camaro universe, please post a pic if possible . I posted a september pic as a reference.

thank you

69 Z
date: 08C
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

billneumiller

• View Profile
I made a reproduction for myself that turned out pretty good. I could do one for you if you don't find an original.

BULLITT65

• View Profile
well thats the thing here, I have had a couple guys with 08E cars which delivered in september of 69 with the sticker, other than those 2 guys, I haven't had any other august built 69's on here with the original sticker. So the point of this thread is to find out if cars delivered in August of 69 ever had the sticker.  I would like to see a pic of yours if possible. How much do you charge for the sticker?

Gramps69Z

• 69 X33 D80
    • View Profile
Did you read John's post on the last thread that was started?

http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=7321.0
Captain John Wykoff
Destin Fire:   October 31, 2015 at 0700--Officially Retired

BULLITT65

• View Profile
regarding when the sticker was mandated? yes I did see that what I am disputing is that cars in early August received this sticker ( per Jerry Macnieshes book). As of yet over 100 views of this thread and nobody has posted an original pic before 08E. is this what you are reffering to?

Gramps69Z

• 69 X33 D80
    • View Profile
Yes 10-4, I have a 10E car and it has the sticker, so I can't help you on it.  John stated it was in use by 08A. Sorry more people with 08 cars have not posted.  ???
Captain John Wykoff
Destin Fire:   October 31, 2015 at 0700--Officially Retired

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
I'm not surprised. It takes time. There's not a lot of 08 cars out there, no less ones that haven't been repainted and also have their owners reading this forum over the past few weeks.

I've had some of my pet research projects take many years to get good answers.....
Still looking for 1969 SS350 powerglide cars....
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 05:49:16 AM by KurtS »
Kurt S
CRG

BULLITT65

• View Profile
John is basing that off of Jerrys book, and that specific car clearly has a repo sticker, thats why I started questioning when they started putting the sticker on the door. Everybody keeps referring to that one incorrect car in an effort to make everyone elses correct, when in fact it seems like just the opposite is happening owners with cars that never would have had the sticker see the incorrect car and think they need that sticker as well. I am trying to set the record straight based on original 08 cars stickers if they ever got them at all!
We will see if someone posts one.

I could see it taking years trying to find a powerglide SS 350 I mean how many do you think they produced? 1000? We are talking about like approx 7000 cars here built in August. Seems like a decent number.

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
And original paint and members here?? Sorry, I do this all the time and that's narrow criteria.

I'll say it again. That car was an original car that reputedly had the sticker and was then restored. So, yes it's now not the original sticker.....
Kurt S
CRG

BULLITT65

• View Profile
I don't know how many members are on here, as I said in another post though I have begun contacting people outside of the crg with plain jane camaros unrestored, and haven't any luck yet, but how about the owner of the camaro you referenced, post a pic of the original sticker and clear things up then? But if that is not possible, out of 7000 cars shouldn't be to tough to find another August car with its original sticker, Since i have started this discussion I have had the pleasure of half a dozen guys with september or october cars post their pics or email them to me, so I guess it is just a matter of time if your theory holds true Kurt.....

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
Top right corner of the pags:

Key Stats:
51503 Posts in 7537 Topics by 3363 Members
Kurt S
CRG

BULLITT65

• View Profile
got it thanks

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
 John stated it was in use by 08A.

Nope. I stated that it was required to be affixed to the door on every car produced starting on September 1, 1969; it was applied at the end of the Final Line, in the same station where the window sticker was installed. Don't know how far ahead of September 1st they actually started it, if they did at all.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

BULLITT65

• View Profile
sorry, I stand corrected

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
John is basing that off of Jerrys book..

Nope. I'm basing that from the effective point of the federal law that required it. I was the Trim/Chassis/Final Production Superintendent at Lordstown when we started installing the decal on the 1970 Impala/Caprice, and we put the first several hundred of them in the repair yard due to the clear overlays falling off; just one of those delightful things you remember. :)
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

anything