Author Topic: Front Suspension Special Tools  (Read 4741 times)

BlackoutSteve

• View Profile
Front Suspension Special Tools
« on: January 29, 2011, 04:33:49 AM »
On the last page of the Front Suspension chapter in the Chevrolet Chassis Service manual (chapter 3), there is a figure that shows most of the special tools required to remove and replace the ball joints and bushes on the upper and lower control arms.

Does any one know if these tools have ever been remanufatured?
..or was anyone lucky enough to grab a now-obsolete set that I would assume every GM service/dealer across the country had in their store?

I am considering making a set, but first I would like to know if they have already been reproduced, which might save me the effort.
Restoring my RHD 69 Jane in Melbourne, Australia.
http://www.usmuscle.com.au/Forum/showthread.php?t=2840

Gramps69Z

• 69 X33 D80
    • View Profile
Re: Front Suspension Special Tools
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 04:14:47 PM »
Do a search online and check the mass tool companies like  Matco, Mac, and Snap On.  Front end tools are out there they may not be GM's but they will work.   Most front end mechanics never used "special" tools, I know I didn't.  Hammers, big sockets, and the most used tool the air hammer.
Captain John Wykoff
Destin Fire:   October 31, 2015 at 0700--Officially Retired

BlackoutSteve

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 09:59:42 PM »
The tools mainly required are the spacers that stop the upper & lower A-arms crushing when removing or refitting bushes. Their lengths and diameters are unique to application.

Ball joint removers I have found, but would still like to know how well these "universal" kits fit these cars.
Restoring my RHD 69 Jane in Melbourne, Australia.
http://www.usmuscle.com.au/Forum/showthread.php?t=2840

Dave69rag

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 10:00:21 PM »
When I pressed the control arm bushings on my car, I made all the spacers from black pipe. 

Oregonjam

• 68 ss350
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 01:55:36 AM »
Steve,

The tools were produced. I only have kept one of them that was useful for disassmbling the front end. I do not have the manual handy at the moment, it was the tool that has a bung on the bottom of a plate and drops into a jack when you remove the lifting plate. It  has a support for both ends for the control arm. You apply pressure with the jack, pull the bolts for the lower control arm and slowly lower the jack to remove the spring. Very painless and no worries about losing control of the pressure from the spring. No scratches on your control arms either.

If you are inteterested you can make them or punch in the part numbers in ebay every once in awhile. They will often show up by part number with the seller not having any idea what they are for.

Good luck,
John
68 07D SS350
John

169INDY

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 04:01:18 AM »
I had access to heavy wall starter stock and a machine shop. It was nice and I used the service manual to sketch up a set to use with a hydraulic press. It was cheap because I had access to material, labor and reverse engineer based on the front end parts and tooling on hand. I have used this set up many times on 68, 69 Camaros and Chevelles. I was not happy with the Charges by a local jobber machine (Auto) shop was wanting to charge to perform the R/R of front end related parts. So I like you was looking for options. This is not something you can accomplish with galv pipe and hand tools. They (as previously) suggested offer c-clamp style tooling that can be sourced. but I went overboard and now need NO outside asstiance for Bushings, balljoints etc swap outs! The one thing I did fail at was manufactuing tooling to install (Buck) rivets in the upper ball joint to upper a arm.

Jim

poor qlty picture attached for ref only.

edit-spelling
Jim
68 SS/RS L35 Th-400 LOS
69 Pace Car L48 Th-350 LOS
68 Z28 M21 LOS