Author Topic: Front Disc brake question  (Read 4377 times)

cadmanof50s

• Vic Brincat
    • View Profile
Front Disc brake question
« on: December 22, 2010, 06:05:22 PM »
My '68 has 2 piece disc rottor and hub. I believe it to be original...maybe a replacement...but none the less, it is a two piece unit as the original had.

The car has sat for a very long time and as such, the wheel bearings have marked a line on the wheel bearing race. When you run your fingernail across the mark, you can feel a small indentation. I am assuming that this will wreck any new bearings I install.

Question: Are the wheel bearing race(s)  removable/replaceable on these hubs?  Or do I have to purchase a brand new 2 piece rottor?

I have not seen any of the more common suppliers advertise the race. Wheel bearings yes, races no.

Vic Brincat
1968 Camaro RS Convertible - 327

tmodel66

• View Profile
Re: Front Disc brake question
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 07:29:14 PM »
Yes you can buy the race at most any parts house like NAPA.
Daniel  
'69 SS 350/4 speed  Fathom Green--POP

cadmanof50s

• Vic Brincat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 08:18:50 PM »
Thanks tmodel66,

I did some more research and it looks loke the out bearing race is removeable, but no mention of the inner bearing race. Unfortunately, it is my inner bearing race that is scored. Is the inner race replaceable too?

Vic

Vic Brincat
1968 Camaro RS Convertible - 327

Gramps69Z

• 69 X33 D80
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 11:29:46 PM »
All new wheel bearings come with races.  Hammer and a punch to remove and replace.
Captain John Wykoff
Destin Fire:   October 31, 2015 at 0700--Officially Retired

red67l78

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 01:58:35 AM »
Both inner and outer are removable. What i do when the old have been removed. Stick rotor in oven for 400 degrees and put bearing races in freezer. After 20 minutes i get hot glove and place rotor on bench Then put one race in place and use old to beat new one in till it bottoms.  Flip rotor over and get other race out of freezer and put it in. Done.   Remember metal races heat up quickly so don't waste time. Be setup before begining with all tools needed. Be careful not to strike bearing surface
Chas

anything