Author Topic: SS Chevelle Wheel  (Read 4115 times)

IZRSSS

SS Chevelle Wheel
« on: November 27, 2010, 05:16:14 PM »
According to CRG's RPO N66, the SS Chevelle type wheel was offered as an option for early '69 Camaros. Can someone tell me what the correct stamp is?

Thanks

http://www.camaros.org/pdf/options.pdf

Steve Shauger

• View Profile
    • Vintage Certification
Re: SS Chevelle Wheel
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 03:40:49 AM »
Same as 69 Chevelle YA
Steve Shauger
Vintage Certification™ Program, Providing Recognition And Status To Unrestored Vehicles.  The Supercar Registry-www.yenko.net-

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 06:11:15 AM »
Kurt S
CRG

tim69camaro

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 12:27:13 PM »
The SS wheels start with M4 then below that the year. I beleive some also have M1. This is different than the rally wheels which have a K for Kelsey Hays who made them. I don't know what the M stands for yet. Does anyone have an explaination?

Here is a stamp from one of my wheels. They are dated Novemeber 1968.
Tim Bailey

IZRSSS

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 01:23:24 PM »
Another piece of the puzzle solved. My wheels have the M58 but no YA. So far the garbage list on the L48 include; Rear Springs, Air Cleaner (should be chrome lid), Throttle Cable and now Wheels. I'm also concerned about the gas tank but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

If you recall the car had Rally Wheels before it sold at WWMC. Without a build sheet I can only assume this is what it had. I have been in contact with a man from Oklahoma City who had the car for several months before it sold at WWMC. During our last conversation he mentioned he might have the correct Rally Wheels for the car. He also mentioned he is almost certain the car had the original White Wall tires before it was restored. I'm not sure I would go that far but who knows...with its color they might work. I will talk to him again this coming week to get the code for the wheels. Hopefully the star's will align themselves and who knows, he might even have the correct Air Cleaner.

From WWMC the car was purchased by a guy in Albuquerque, NM and my hunch is...this is where the wheels were switched.

Thanks guys!    
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 02:50:02 PM by IZRSSS »

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 06:03:51 PM »
The SS wheels start with M4 then below that the year. I beleive some also have M1. This is different than the rally wheels which have a K for Kelsey Hays who made them. I don't know what the M stands for yet. Does anyone have an explaination?

The "M" stands for Motor Wheel Corporation, in Lansing, Michigan - they made the N66 wheels, not Kelsey-Hayes.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2010, 06:53:33 PM »
Motor Wheel might have been based in Lansing, but one of their bigger plants was in Ypsilanti. They closed it about 15 years ago - Corner Brewery is located in the office building now. :)
Kurt S
CRG

tim69camaro

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2010, 11:41:42 PM »
Thanks for the infomation about the code and manufacturer.  ;D
Tim Bailey

anything