Author Topic: Muncie codes  (Read 6037 times)

Flowjoe

• View Profile
Muncie codes
« on: May 10, 2006, 10:36:48 PM »
Just picked up some Muncie parts, case extensions and cases.  One is a "660" case wiht teh following markings:

P9M23 which I decoded as Muncie, model year '69, assembly date December 23.

and
 CT8
42311 which I decode as Chevy Transmission (replacement part) model year '68, sequence numebr 42311.

any clue why the replacement code indicates for model year '68 and the assembly code indicates for model eyar '69?

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Muncie codes
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2006, 07:43:21 PM »
The "8" after "CT" denotes the calendar year it was built, not model year (unlike the year code in the Muncie "P"-number, which refers to model year).  :)
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

Flowjoe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2006, 08:26:26 PM »
Hey John, thanks for the response. 
What you say would make sense but I raised the question because of the information contained on the CRG.  Reference http://www.camaros.org/engine.shtml#ReplacementEngines within this site...based on the info there the "8" would indicate model year (perhaps I misread it).  Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to pick an argument wiht you (you have been a wealth of info over the years and I respect your opinion a great deal) I'm just trying to ascertain the correct decoding of this particular transmission and by doing so deepen my understanding of Chevrolet coding practices.

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2006, 05:37:42 PM »
I have to look into that further; I've seen many more "CE" blocks where the first digit after the "CE" is later (higher number) than the model year of the car they went into than those where that digit matches the car's model year.  :)
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

Flowjoe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2006, 09:22:20 PM »
LMK what you come up with...I would be very curious to know.

anything