Author Topic: Z11 Rear bumper guards standard?  (Read 5925 times)

srode

• View Profile
Z11 Rear bumper guards standard?
« on: November 14, 2010, 12:55:45 PM »
Seems most Z11s I have seen have rear bumper guards.  Mine didn't have a rear bumper when I bought it - so I've always had an OEM with the bumperets on it.  Curious what was standard on these and if bumper guards were optional if there's a way to tell if it was included on this one originally.  I believe this one had a Endura bumper on it originaly as there was a rusted out one included with the parts when I bought it back in 84, don't know if that matters for the rear of how to tell if it was original either. 
Steve - 02D Z11 and a Plain Jane hardtop

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Z11 Rear bumper guards standard?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 06:40:58 PM »
All standard '69s had the small rear bumper guards. The taller rear guards with the rubber inserts were optional [V32]; included on Z/28 or with G31 Heavy-Duty Rear Springs. Your Z11 should have one or the other.

As for the Special Front Bumper, no way to know without paperwork. The bumper required an adapter riveted to the jack loadrest; it was painted blue and stamped VE3.
Learning more and more about less and less...

srode

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 12:09:36 AM »
Thanks, William,

Is either of the options (G31 or V32) supposed to be listed on the firewall tag?  If so, mine didn't have either because there isn't a stamp for that option. 

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 12:22:59 AM »
None of that info on '69 tags.
Learning more and more about less and less...

srode

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 01:21:34 AM »
Got it, thanks for the information.  This car has the heavier sway bar up front right now, and I'm guessing it's original.  Does that mean it had the heavier suspension by chance?

Steve Shauger

• View Profile
    • Vintage Certification
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 01:44:47 AM »
The larger way bar was part COPO#9737 (sports car conversion)and not original equipment on your car.

BTW the rear bumperettes (small) and large bumper guards use the same lower mounting holes. They do mount differently to the bumper itself. Without a window sticker/ broadcast sheet there no way to make a determination.
Steve Shauger
Vintage Certification™ Program, Providing Recognition And Status To Unrestored Vehicles.  The Supercar Registry-www.yenko.net-

srode

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2010, 01:56:41 AM »
Well, I guess I can go either way then - no way to tell which one it had since I have neither broadcast sheet or window sticker.   Thanks for the help.   

Stingr69

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2010, 03:47:13 PM »
Seems most Z11s I have seen have rear bumper guards.  Mine didn't have a rear bumper when I bought it - so I've always had an OEM with the bumperets on it.  Curious what was standard on these and if bumper guards were optional if there's a way to tell if it was included on this one originally.  I believe this one had a Endura bumper on it originaly as there was a rusted out one included with the parts when I bought it back in 84, don't know if that matters for the rear of how to tell if it was original either. 

The bumper brackets for endura bumpers are different than the brackets for the chrome bumpers . Did you have all the pieces to mount the endura bumper when you got the car?

srode

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2010, 09:54:02 AM »
I'll do some checking - as I remember there'sa few bumper mounts I got with the car that don't look like they are for a steel bumper, their burried in a parts box in the garage somewhere.