Author Topic: D80 Rear Spoiler Dealer Install?  (Read 20762 times)

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
Re: D80 Rear Spoiler Dealer Install?
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2010, 04:30:01 AM »
Those rods look equal to me = not a D80 car.
Date is on the center rib of the lid.
Kurt S
CRG

IZRSSS

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2010, 01:09:26 PM »
I agree, the torsion bars look identical. It doesn't surprise me that it isn't a D80 car. If you recall J also mentioned it is a strip delete car. These two discoveries are consistant with a conservative look. I think this also raises a red flag on the front spoiler. It does not have the main frame anchor point.

The other dilemma I'm up against is the hood, its a repop. Was it possible to order a plain hood on a SS car? If it was I think Pat would have opted for this as well. Nothing on the car is consistant with what a guy would have ordered.

I could not find a stamp on the center rib/ribs of the lid. The paint was laid on pretty thick so maybe it's just covered up. Other than the stamp is there any other way to determine if its factory? Are all 1st gen lids interchangeable?

Just trying to piece these last few items together as best I can. Its been tough without the build sheet.

Thanks Kurt
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 01:28:19 PM by IZRSSS »

Gramps69Z

• 69 X33 D80
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2010, 04:45:51 PM »
Here's a picture of the rods on my D80 car.

Captain John Wykoff
Destin Fire:   October 31, 2015 at 0700--Officially Retired

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2010, 04:56:42 PM »
The blue lid in the photo is the '69 "second design" lid - same one that's on my car; has the four holes in the inner panel to clear the attaching studs for the Firebird spoiler. Photo below is mine - the Fisher "run number" (date code) is directly below the jack instruction sticker, on the raised rib; you can't read it in the photo, but you can see it if you look closely. They moved it on the later 3rd design lid.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

IZRSSS

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2010, 05:07:51 PM »
Here's a picture of the rods on my D80 car.

There is obviously a visual distinction between the two. It certainly looks like the torsion rods are original to the car. If you look close, the spatter paint line would be hard to duplicate. No rear spoiler...what was this girl thinking ???!

Thanks for the pic John
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 05:26:01 PM by IZRSSS »

IZRSSS

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2010, 05:14:39 PM »
The blue lid in the photo is the '69 "second design" lid - same one that's on my car; has the four holes in the inner panel to clear the attaching studs for the Firebird spoiler. Photo below is mine - the Fisher "run number" (date code) is directly below the jack instruction sticker, on the raised rib; you can't read it in the photo, but you can see it if you look closely. They moved it on the later 3rd design lid.
I see it on my lid now... unfortunately there is so much paint that the stamp looks like a blur. I didn't know there were three different designs, thanks! Can you tell me which of the three is correct for a 12A Van Nuys build? Not sure if it really matters where it was built...?

Thanks John

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2010, 04:26:15 PM »
I see it on my lid now... unfortunately there is so much paint that the stamp looks like a blur. I didn't know there were three different designs, thanks! Can you tell me which of the three is correct for a 12A Van Nuys build? Not sure if it really matters where it was built...?

Thanks John

It appears that the 2nd-design deck lid was used between about November '68 to April '69.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

IZRSSS

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2010, 04:52:40 PM »
Thanks again John. That's what I was hoping to here.

Dave69x33

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2010, 03:18:40 AM »
My 1969 05A Norwood Camaro appears to have the 2nd design (with the four holes in the inner panel). The inner panel is stamped "T A10" in raised rib, to right of the jack instructions, and "A10" in a second spot along the middle bottom of the raised rib. 

If I recall correctly, the T is the stamping plant, and stamping plant codes are typically H, K and T.  Has it been determined which plants these codes stood for?

The “A10” stands for the 10th week of 1969 which would be the week of March 10th, correct?

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2010, 04:26:46 PM »
My 1969 05A Norwood Camaro appears to have the 2nd design (with the four holes in the inner panel). The inner panel is stamped "T A10" in raised rib, to right of the jack instructions, and "A10" in a second spot along the middle bottom of the raised rib. 

If I recall correctly, the T is the stamping plant, and stamping plant codes are typically H, K and T.  Has it been determined which plants these codes stood for?

The “A10” stands for the 10th week of 1969 which would be the week of March 10th, correct?

That's the "third design" deck lid (date code relocated, no weld tabs on the rear hem flange); it was used from about March to the end of the model year. I don't think the plant codes have been decoded, except for Kalamazoo ("K").
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

Dave69x33

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2010, 01:24:51 AM »
And what does the "A" stand for in "T A10"?

L78 steve

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2010, 02:22:10 PM »

That's the "third design" deck lid (date code relocated, no weld tabs on the rear hem flange); it was used from about March to the end of the model year. I don't think the plant codes have been decoded, except for Kalamazoo ("K").
   Weld tabs?
69 Z/28 Dover White. SOLD
67 SS/RS Mt. Green 1W,2LGSR,3SL,4K,5BY,07C. SOLD
70 Nova L78 Blk. Cherry,Sandalwood,M21,02B

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2010, 04:28:27 PM »
That's the "third design" deck lid (date code relocated, no weld tabs on the rear hem flange); it was used from about March to the end of the model year.

<<Weld tabs?>>

Yes - see photo below; the second design '69 deck lid had eight of them across the rear edge.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

L78 steve

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2010, 06:16:26 PM »
Does anyone know how to decode the dates? My trunk lid has a T  A44.
69 Z/28 Dover White. SOLD
67 SS/RS Mt. Green 1W,2LGSR,3SL,4K,5BY,07C. SOLD
70 Nova L78 Blk. Cherry,Sandalwood,M21,02B

mark x22

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2010, 11:19:38 PM »
forty fourth week