Author Topic: Fan Shroud Gap Question  (Read 4767 times)

SoCal68

• View Profile
Fan Shroud Gap Question
« on: November 05, 2010, 01:54:37 AM »
My fan shroud doesn't quite sit flush to the radiator.  I have the correct mounting bracket according to NPD's catalog.  Does this look correct?

dutch

• Documented Canadian 1968 Z/28
    • View Profile
Re: Fan Shroud Gap Question
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 03:51:56 PM »
Since it seems no one else has ventured any guesses for you, so...

From what I've seen there is just one fan shroud bracket available for both big and small blocks so that shouldn't be the problem...
Can't tell if you have a big or small block in your car as pictured, but you certainly seem to have a shroud that is of the big block design in use there...
There were different shrouds available for rads having different core thicknesses as I understand it and or A/C use, so maybe you have one for a thicker rad core or application than you are using it on - thus the gap - but even then it still looks set back by a large amount to me...
I would check out the various shrouds available and pictures of shrouds in use by posters elsewhere on this site to see if you can spot one that looks like a better fit not only for the core to shroud distance but what appears in your picture to be a shroud that covers the fan blade area too much (fan blades should sit half in / half out of the shroud end for best cooling efficiency).

Other than that I have no other suggestions and hope you get more expert advice...
Randy

joesauer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 04:20:09 PM »
Agree with Dutch, your fan should be half-in, half-out of the shroud.  How about your lower brackets?  Does the lower portion of the shroud fit into the factory brackets properly (so the shroud is tight against the lower part of the radiator)?  Not an expert, but seems like the upper shroud lip should be further forward on the radiator.

big iron

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 07:28:26 PM »
Looks like you have a 325/350 HP BB with a BB shroud but you have a sb radiator . You need a big tank radiator, without it you will have heating problems.
Bob

acelr8

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 01:17:32 AM »
No its not right. Move the bolt hole in the bracket. The repros are not correct.
I believe it to be a 23 inch 3 core radiator or the shroud would be too wide.
Jeff