Author Topic: Gas tank  (Read 4686 times)

joesauer

• View Profile
Gas tank
« on: November 03, 2010, 02:48:51 AM »
When filling my 68 with fuel (in California) often have difficulty with fuel leaking between the filler opening and hose nozzel.   Does not seem to matter how tight I hold the filler hose against the filler opening, or how slow I pump the gas.  Anyone know of a device  (or some trick) to stop the fuel leak during fillup?

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
Re: Gas tank
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 01:50:28 PM »
If the "sealer" on the pump handle does not fit tight (and the current handles are definitely not designed for 60s cars), then my device to called a rag.  I'm serious.  Nobody was worrying about a little gas spill in 68.  Even when the handle seals okay, you still need to wait a few seconds after pump starts to let that last few drops drain and keep your rag under it. 
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 09:07:15 PM »
When filling my 68 with fuel (in California) often have difficulty with fuel leaking between the filler opening and hose nozzel.   Does not seem to matter how tight I hold the filler hose against the filler opening, or how slow I pump the gas.  Anyone know of a device  (or some trick) to stop the fuel leak during fillup?

I guess you have some sort of rubber bellows/seal arrangement on gas pumps in California; 1960's gas tanks aren't vented, and if you seal at the filler neck, there's nowhere for the air to go in the tank that's displaced by the fuel being added - eventually that air is going to blow the seal at the nozzle - it has to get out, or you can't get more gas in.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 09:16:56 PM »
Are they the type of seal that does not allow the pump to dispense unless pushed in to a certain point? If so, just hold the seal back to activate the vapor recovery safety, leave a space between it and the neck flange and pump as usual. Two handed op.

flyingskibiker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 01:17:43 AM »
x2

joesauer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2010, 02:24:49 AM »
Over at camaros.net someone suggested using a "Gas Buddy Aluminum Nozzel Boot Holder (www.wingstuff.com).  Has anyone used this device?  Remember I'm in Calif.  & have to deal with the rubber vapor gadget on fuel nozzels.