Author Topic: 67 Camaro RS Fusebox Corroded  (Read 10678 times)

jmburkhart

• View Profile
67 Camaro RS Fusebox Corroded
« on: October 24, 2010, 06:35:29 PM »
I am new to the forum.

I have searched extensively for help with this problem, with no success.  Need help!

While troubleshooting electrical problems on my 67 RS, I have found the fuse clips and connectors in the fusebox to be corroded.  I would like to remove the clips and connectors to clean them up, but having no luck.  Any suggestions?  I have searched for a replacement unit, finding only the modern sytle retrofit kits.

I also need to replace the indexed connector to the ignition switch.  It has melted at the brown wire (ACC).  In my searches, I have found a replacement wiring harnesses that comes with that connector, but I can't afford it.

Thank you for your help.
Johnny B.  67RS

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: 67 Camaro RS Fusebox Corroded
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 09:23:11 PM »
You might try Lectric Limited (www.lectriclimited.com) - they make fuse block repair kits for Corvettes, and may have them for Camaros as well. M&H Fabricators (www.wiringharness.com) may also have kits.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

jmburkhart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 11:25:41 PM »
Thanks, JohnZ.  I'll check those sites.

John B.
Johnny B.  67RS

jmburkhart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 07:51:04 PM »
JohnZ,

I have been in touch with both Lectric Limited and M&H.  Lectric Limited lists a Fuse Block Repair Kit for $110, however all existing '67 stock is reserved for Dash Harness Kits, so I would need to purchase a complete dash harness for $386.  M&H would sell me a fuse block for $140.  They also recommend I buy a complete dash harness (same price as Lectric Limited).

I am intimidated by the prospect of replacing the entire dash harness (plus, I can't afford the cost).  This little repair project is turning into a major rebuild.  Everything I look at is in need of upgrade, thus I resist tearing it apart any further.

Thanks again for your help.  If you know of anyone who has successfully removed the fuse clips and connectors from a fuse block in order to clean them up, please let me know.

Regards,  John B.
Johnny B.  67RS

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 02:04:47 AM »
It may look intimidating to you, but the harness is removed easily. Half day R&I. Your budget dilemma stops a harness purchase. Provided the harness has not been previously butchered beyond repair, you can remove it, clean all the rusted parts, repair any wires requiring so, and reinstall. Your time is all that is needed. Your statement that everything is in need of an upgrade is not indicative of a scrap or save diagnosis. A few cut wires is not a big deal; catastrophic melt downs are.  Try E-bay for a used harness. At times they can be had cheaply. Even a cut, parts only one could provide your fuse block. If you even need it after cleaning. Place a wanted ad on Team Camaro. Many times people like myself have harnesses hanging around but don't sell until they are reminded. Sorry, most of mine are gone.

Stingr69

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 12:30:53 PM »
I have removed the wires one at a time and used a little CLR and fine steel wool to clean up the terminals. It takes a little work and it might not be the best fix but it does clean them up. This is not as effective as a new harness but it would get you through in a pinch. Unclip the terminal, push it out of the connector, remove any loose corrosion, dip in CLR and let it do its job. Then rinse it off, dry it and reinstall the terminal. You might try some dielectric grease to prevent further corrosion but I have not tried that.

Good luck!

-Mark.

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 10:33:38 PM »
Worked for me and still working...
http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=1640.0
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

jmburkhart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2010, 05:34:08 PM »
Thanks to all for your help and advice.

I decided to remove the entire dash harness.  I carefully removed it, making certain to identify and label every plug, etc, for re-installation.  It was a good decision to pull it.  I found [potential] problems every where.  Now I have saved up enough to purchase a new harness, including the headlight-door diode and courtesy lamps harnesses, and new dimmer switch.  I have found three vendors who can supply these parts.  They all are priced competitively.  I need advice on which is most reliable.   

These vendors are:  American Autowire, M & H, and Lectric Limited. 

Please help me.

John B.
Johnny B.  67RS

tmodel66

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2010, 07:03:17 PM »
Factory Fit from http://www.americanautowire.com/ has a real good product. I've got mine in hand and double checked the new to the old and it's spot on.
Daniel  
'69 SS 350/4 speed  Fathom Green--POP

GSD5

• View Profile
    • 1967 Camaro SS/RS Convertible
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2010, 09:11:54 PM »
I had pretty good luck with American Autowire as well
67RS/SS Convertible

jacmac

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2010, 12:32:04 AM »
I too used American autowire to rewire my entire 69! Everything fit exactly as it should correct color,gauge,length & even the wire clips were in the correct place.I was really impressedwith their product!
69 Z10,69 ss396Chevelle, 71 Corvette

jmburkhart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2010, 05:13:42 PM »
Thanks to all for the advice.   I just received the new harness from American Autowire.  I wrapped it and put it under the Christmas tree for the Wife (after all, it's her car!)

I'll let you know how the installation goes.

Happy Holidays,  Johnny B.
Johnny B.  67RS