Author Topic: Bumper Jack Stoage Brackets  (Read 6733 times)

69-er

• View Profile
Bumper Jack Stoage Brackets
« on: October 01, 2010, 04:13:46 PM »
I am trying to determine how the jack in stored in a 68 Firebird with a space saver tire.  I have read about references to brackets that are welded to the trunk floor that properly locate the jack, but haven't seen any pictures.  I don't have any brackets in the trunk of the 68 I'm working on.

I have a 69 AIM somewhere but don't know if it would be the same for 68.

big iron

• View Profile
Re: Bumper Jack Stoage Brackets
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 11:13:00 PM »
Both 68 and 69 had space saver tire option RPO 65.
The 68 AIM does not have any work instructions but your 69 AIM has them on UPC N65 A1 page 407. 69 floor pan is different than 68.The brackets where installed by Fisher so they are not in the AIM.
I do not know if bracket for the floor is different between std. tire, space saver.68 and 69, but the floor bracket is available after market.
Maybe someone has a picture they will share.
Bob

Jeremiah

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 02:16:06 PM »
The jacking instuction/stowage decal on the underside of the trunk lid was the same as one with a full size spare. I couldnt see them relocating the jack or modifying the bracketry on the floor for a different size spare.. I am no expert though.
69 SS/RS Hugger orange-Ivory houndstooth, endura.
69 RS Conv. Black/Black-Ivory interior, endura, DX1.

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 03:00:43 PM »
The jacking instuction/stowage decal on the underside of the trunk lid was the same as one with a full size spare.

Nope. The N65 jack instruction sticker was different than the standard one.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

Jeremiah

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 04:42:58 PM »
Thanks for the corrction John.. and everything else I have learned from you over the years!

I was just doing a lot of reading on the VE3 option and I guess I got the topics confused?
69 SS/RS Hugger orange-Ivory houndstooth, endura.
69 RS Conv. Black/Black-Ivory interior, endura, DX1.

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 02:08:03 PM »
Thanks for the corrction John.. and everything else I have learned from you over the years!

I was just doing a lot of reading on the VE3 option and I guess I got the topics confused?

The standard jack instruction sticker was 3949506 (coupe) and 3949513 (convertible); the N65 sticker was 3949508 (coupe) and 3949510 (convertible). N65 cars also got an instruction card (3934186) in the glove box on how to use the inflator bottle.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 05:03:16 PM »
A friend has been working on a '69 built with a space-saver spare; it is listed on the window sticker. He states the hook for the hold-down rod is welded to the trunk floor in a different position than standard.
Learning more and more about less and less...

big iron

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 05:11:24 PM »
Think he might post a picture?
Thanks,
Bob
A friend has been working on a '69 built with a space-saver spare; it is listed on the window sticker. He states the hook for the hold-down rod is welded to the trunk floor in a different position than standard.

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2010, 07:50:13 PM »
I'll ask
Learning more and more about less and less...

Petes L48

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2010, 09:14:18 PM »
This was over on the TC site, under the Specialty-Convertibles section:

http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=184193

The third entry down has a good photo.  Based on what's shown in the AIM I believe this is where the bracket is welded for a space saver.  Not sure if any differences between coupe and ragtop, or 67 vs 68 vs 69, or Camaro vs Firebird.  For a full size spare, I believe the bracket would be welded where you see the four dimples closer to the rear of the car, about half way up the right side of the pic.

There's also those other dimples up near this space saver bracket.  Were those ever used for welding in a bracket for the jack?     

Petes L48

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 03:44:45 PM »
^^^ After looking further, it seems that pic shows the hold down location for a full size coupe spare. 

anything