Author Topic: dome light won't go out  (Read 7063 times)

alanhowell2

• View Profile
dome light won't go out
« on: September 30, 2010, 03:41:29 PM »
the 2 wires from the door switch on the left or drivers side. 1 goes to the dome light but I can't figure out if the other goes to light switch or where.
Pls advise
thanks

My68SS

• View Profile
Re: dome light won't go out
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 04:25:10 PM »
Two wires??  ???  Ususally it's only 1 wire that gets earthed by the spring plunger pulling it into contact with the metal of the door jamb.
What car is it?
Rob
1968 12C SS
L34/M40
12 bolt posi 3.55

Stingr69

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 04:28:51 PM »
Harness comes over to one side with 2 wires but then 1 of those 2 wires goes to the other side if I remember right. Either side will ground out the circuit and turn on the light.

Or is this a senior moment?

-Mark.

My68SS

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 04:57:03 PM »
You could be right - been too long since I had mine apart. Was also wondering about courtesy lights [if fitted]
Rob
1968 12C SS
L34/M40
12 bolt posi 3.55

alanhowell2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 07:54:31 PM »
69 camaro

flyingskibiker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 08:04:30 PM »
For a '68, the other wire goes to the ignition switch.  It's part of the buzzer circuit.

Boston14

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2010, 02:59:25 AM »
In a 1969, the left door jam switch controls and applies the ground for two circuits, the interior/courtesy lights, and the key buzzer switch. In the interior light circuit, the headlight switch can also ground the ciruit by turning the knob all the way past the detent. The interior light grounds are white. Interior/courtesy lights are fed 12 V pos. at all times via orange wires. In the key buzzer circuit, the left door jam switch will ground (through the black wire) the key buzzer switch (in the steering column by the ignition lock), which if there is a key in the ignition lock depresssing the contacts will activate the buzzer. The right door jam switch only has the white interior light ground wire since the driver rarely exits though the right door forgetting his keys.  ;D. So if your dome light is staying on, the white wire is grounded somewhere. It could be in the door jamb switches, the headlight switch, or any of the white wires could be shorted to ground. A remote possibility could also be that the black wire for the key buzzer switch is grounded, but in that case the buzzer would sound any time a key is in the ignition with the door open or closed.

boston14
boston14

1969 SS/RS 350 Convertible
Dover White with Black Top and D90 stripe, Red Standard Interior

My68SS

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2010, 12:20:16 PM »
In a 1969, the left door jam switch controls and applies the ground for two circuits, the interior/courtesy lights, and the key buzzer switch. In the interior light circuit, the headlight switch can also ground the ciruit by turning the knob all the way past the detent. The interior light grounds are white. Interior/courtesy lights are fed 12 V pos. at all times via orange wires. In the key buzzer circuit, the left door jam switch will ground (through the black wire) the key buzzer switch (in the steering column by the ignition lock), which if there is a key in the ignition lock depresssing the contacts will activate the buzzer. The right door jam switch only has the white interior light ground wire since the driver rarely exits though the right door forgetting his keys.  ;D. So if your dome light is staying on, the white wire is grounded somewhere. It could be in the door jamb switches, the headlight switch, or any of the white wires could be shorted to ground. A remote possibility could also be that the black wire for the key buzzer switch is grounded, but in that case the buzzer would sound any time a key is in the ignition with the door open or closed.

boston14

Ah... ok, so now I have a better understanding of the buzzer behaviour which had me puzzled many, many years ago!
I always exit through the RH door - RH drive converted Aussie car lol! :)
My buzzer never sounded, but back then, I didn't know it had one. Then one day it did sound, but must have been because the "passenger's" door was open.
Another problem I later discovered is that the ignition key and lock were so worn, that the spring loaded plunger would push the key back and the buzzer was never going to sound anyway, unless you were pushing on the key!

In fact, I became quite skilled at holding my hand in exactly the right place to catch the keys as they came flying out of the switch whenever I nailed the throttle!!  :D
Rob
1968 12C SS
L34/M40
12 bolt posi 3.55

anything