CRG Discussion Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2014, 02:47:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Welcome to the CRG Discussion Forum!
Forum registration problems: Make sure you enter your email correctly and you check your spam box first. *Then* email KurtS2@gmail for help.
97481 Posts in 11715 Topics by 4581 Members
Latest Member: Cooper48
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  CRG Discussion Forum
|-+  Camaro Research Group Discussion
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  What other rear end differentials will fit a 69 Camaro?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: What other rear end differentials will fit a 69 Camaro?  (Read 2422 times)
sdkar

View Profile Email
« on: May 04, 2006, 03:29:18 PM »

What, if any, other donor cars can I look for to get a rear end that will fit a 69 Camaro?  I don't care about the perches as I am going to cut them off anyway and install the rear with a 4 link setup.  I just want to make sure the width from wheel to wheel is okay to use.  Can I even go a little smaller and adjust it with offset rims.  This is for a pro-tour project with 17" or 18" rims.

Steve
william
CRG Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2006, 09:59:00 AM »

There are others that will work [65-67 Chevelle, 68-74 Nova, 70 Camaro].

If you are intending to start with a 12 bolt axle they are expensive to acquire, expensive to restore/rebuild and will still have the built-in design limitations, namely drum brakes and C-clip axle retention. Cutting/welding on the axle tubes can warp and weaken them. Many 12 bolt axles were in cars that were abused; I've seen cracked center sections and bent housings.

By the time you are done buying, rebuilding and modifying you will have spent close to the cost of a new custom-built 9" or 12 bolt with discs, better axle retention and the ratio of your choice.

Were I building a hot rod that is what I would do.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: