Author Topic: What other rear end differentials will fit a 69 Camaro?  (Read 5958 times)

sdkar

• View Profile
What other rear end differentials will fit a 69 Camaro?
« on: May 04, 2006, 08:29:18 PM »
What, if any, other donor cars can I look for to get a rear end that will fit a 69 Camaro?  I don't care about the perches as I am going to cut them off anyway and install the rear with a 4 link setup.  I just want to make sure the width from wheel to wheel is okay to use.  Can I even go a little smaller and adjust it with offset rims.  This is for a pro-tour project with 17" or 18" rims.

Steve

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: What other rear end differentials will fit a 69 Camaro?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2006, 02:59:00 PM »
There are others that will work [65-67 Chevelle, 68-74 Nova, 70 Camaro].

If you are intending to start with a 12 bolt axle they are expensive to acquire, expensive to restore/rebuild and will still have the built-in design limitations, namely drum brakes and C-clip axle retention. Cutting/welding on the axle tubes can warp and weaken them. Many 12 bolt axles were in cars that were abused; I've seen cracked center sections and bent housings.

By the time you are done buying, rebuilding and modifying you will have spent close to the cost of a new custom-built 9" or 12 bolt with discs, better axle retention and the ratio of your choice.

Were I building a hot rod that is what I would do.
Learning more and more about less and less...