Author Topic: M22 trans date stamp  (Read 5839 times)

69SSRSL89

• View Profile
M22 trans date stamp
« on: July 16, 2010, 09:02:28 PM »
Hello, guys. I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this since I'm new to this forum so please move it if it needs to be.  I just wanted to ask if anyone here would be able to tell the difference between a restamped date code on a Muncie transmission and an original.  I have found one that I'm thinking that I'd like to buy for my car, but I just want to make sure that it's not a restamp before I go and spend the money on it.  To me it looks legit, but these days so many people are restamping things I just want to make sure.  Here is a couple pictures for you to check out.  Please let me know what you think.  Thanks again I really appreciate your help.

tmodel66

• View Profile
Re: M22 trans date stamp
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 09:14:47 PM »
I'm no expert but I have been looking at transmissions for the past 2 months hunting 1 for my car. The stamp looks good compared to what I have seen on others.
Daniel  
'69 SS 350/4 speed  Fathom Green--POP

rally

• View Profile
Re: M22 transmission date stamping
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 12:42:33 AM »
My opinion the stamping almost looks to neat and to straight. I will look at my M21 on the shelf Sat and compare the neatness my numbers are stamped.

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 03:22:08 AM »
Look OK, I checked with my DB of photos.  Where's the vin stamp?

Jerry

dannystarr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 08:28:16 AM »
Shouldn't the gears be lined up straighter and not so curved? I thought M-22's had way different gear angles. What do I know....Danny

rally

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 01:00:01 PM »
Agree Jerry, where are the vin numbers, good question.

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2010, 01:59:12 PM »
No, gear angle on the M22 gears is about 25 degrees.  Not totally straight.  Stock gears (M21 and 20) are cut at a 40 degree angle.  I have very good photos of all gears in my 1969 Camaro fact book.

Jerry

69SSRSL89

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2010, 09:49:07 PM »
Thanks a ton for all of your opinions I really appreciate it.  This particular M22 does not have a VIN on it.  Should I be worried about that? I had asked around on another site and they didn't think that it was a big deal.  They actually told me that they have saw some without a VIN's stamped on them in original cars (if I understood them correctly) and some with no stamps at all if they where over the counter replacement transmissions.  This transmission has less than a 1000 miles on a fresh rebuild.  What do you think that it is worth?  Thank you guys for all of your help.  I really appreciate it.  Have a great weekend.

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2010, 01:40:18 AM »
No vin, don't worry, I have many non stamped vin cases that I've collected over the years.  Just wanted to ask.

Jerry