Author Topic: Quality of Repro Harrison Radiators?  (Read 6922 times)

Dave69x33

• View Profile
Quality of Repro Harrison Radiators?
« on: July 15, 2010, 03:53:06 PM »
Has anyone recently purchased a repro Harrison Radiator from Heart Beat City? 

Yesterday I received a radiator for my '69Z and I am disappointed in the quality of the "Harrison" named stamped in the side tank.  The rest of the radiator and side tank "CB" ID stamping looks fine.  It appears there was a problem with the press die stamp in the smaller Harrison letters.  The letters in "Harrison" are not legible with the letters filled in, and look more like letter bumps.

I will be making a follow-up call to Heart Bear City in the next day or so.

Thanks,

Dave 

Dave69x33

• View Profile
Re: Quality of Repro Harrison Radiators?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 01:26:43 AM »
Attached is a picture of the "Harrison" script that I mention in my post earlier today. 

I would like to see some pictures of the “Harrison” script from other ‘69 Camaros and '69Zs with their original radiators for comparison. I would also like to know the build date of your car to see if die ware may indicate why the Harrison letters are not well defined, or if this script is unique to the radiator, die number used, etc.  I purchased the radiator from Heartbeat City.  They purchased the original GM/Harrison radiator tank dies and are licensed to reproduce the GM radiators.

Thanks!

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 02:53:52 AM »

68Z28

GaryL

• Marilyn and me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 03:23:11 AM »
I bought mine from HBC several years ago. The "Harrison" looks about the same. It performs very well.
Gary

Lemans Blue X33. DZ, M20, manual steering. Only BU code rear end is original.

My68SS

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 02:39:44 PM »
hmmm...outside half of the die isn't doing it's job. I'd be surprised if original 69 radiators were that poor and I doubt Harrison would have been happy with that.
Just for reference, here's my original dec '67 built 68. That's a bit of solder on the 'n', perhaps from when it was rebuilt.

Rob
1968 12C SS
L34/M40
12 bolt posi 3.55

Dave69x33

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 09:58:39 PM »
Thanks My68SS & 69Z Project,

The "HARRISON" script on your radiators is more well defined and as I recalled from memory.

Jim Stubbings e-mailed me today to correct what I was told by a sales person, that Heartbeat City had the tooling made from an original radiator he had.  The tanks are not made from the original GM/Harrison dies.  It appears that a bit more work is needed to perfect the Harrison die script.  Again, other than the Harrison script, I am very happy with the look of the radiator.

jacmac

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2010, 12:37:36 AM »
I just bought a big block radiator thru Classic  Industries, guess where it came from ,Heartbeat City.As far as the stamping were "harrison" was adverage the rest of them pretty good.I hope it works well when I start the engine in 2 months! Overall  :-\im fairly satisfied!!We will see
69 Z10,69 ss396Chevelle, 71 Corvette

Dave69x33

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 01:24:38 AM »
Thanks for the replies. I painted and installed my radiator several weeks ago.  It works very well with no leaks.