Author Topic: Underhood Light  (Read 7540 times)

nwbalddog

• View Profile
Underhood Light
« on: July 15, 2010, 05:44:56 AM »
I just bought an underhood light kit, it has what seems to be a place for a fuse along the wire, I pulled it open and it appears the fuse is broken and stuck ion one side? What should I be seeing in this when I pull it apart?
1969 Camarao Convertible
396/SS/RS/Auto

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Underhood Light
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 04:31:12 PM »
I just bought an underhood light kit, it has what seems to be a place for a fuse along the wire, I pulled it open and it appears the fuse is broken and stuck ion one side? What should I be seeing in this when I pull it apart?

That's an in-line fuseholder - when you separate the two halves, you insert the correct glass fuse and connect the two halves back together.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

nwbalddog

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 07:03:59 PM »
That is exactly what I thought...it appears the fuse is in this, yet broken and or jammed,as one sode is open ended glass fuse?
1969 Camarao Convertible
396/SS/RS/Auto

big iron

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 07:53:22 PM »
You may want to look at the 69 AIM UPC U26 A1 & A2 as it shows the correct mounting and pad hole placement for your BB.
Bob

nwbalddog

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 09:45:49 PM »
I see it is located on the passenger side, the hood does not have mounting holes, so I will need to drill, and this light kit did not come w/ screws, so I am going to have to guess on them, I assume no biggie here. I also got a new insulation pad, so hope to tackle both at the same time
1969 Camarao Convertible
396/SS/RS/Auto

nwbalddog

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 02:49:19 PM »
I tested the light, it works when wire to horn relay and ground the mounting plate for light, this is a seperating fuse it seems, never seen one before..
1969 Camarao Convertible
396/SS/RS/Auto

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2010, 03:19:23 PM »
I tested the light, it works when wire to horn relay and ground the mounting plate for light, this is a seperating fuse it seems, never seen one before..

The fuse doesn't separate, the fuseholder does.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

IZRSSS

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 10:15:26 PM »
John...or anyone...there seems to be a problem getting a proper ground when the light is mounted to the hood. My light works fine when grounded anywhere inside the engine bay, but I get nothing when the light is mounted to the hood. Any recommendations?

BlackoutSteve

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 08:44:33 AM »
Discretely run a black Earth wire from a hood-hinge bolt to a fender-hinge bolt.
I am surprise why the hood fails to earth though.
Get a multimeter and check Ohms at various points. Is the body of the lamp actually making a good contact with the hood?
Restoring my RHD 69 Jane in Melbourne, Australia.
http://www.usmuscle.com.au/Forum/showthread.php?t=2840

IZRSSS

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 01:11:04 PM »
Steve,

This is exactly where I'm loosing the ground. The light works when the housing is in contact with the lower portion of the hinge or bolts, but I loose it when I move it to the upper part of the hinge or its bolts. And yes...the light housing is making good contact with the hood.

Another question...I am assuming the hood light is built along the same lines as the trunk light, in that once the lid is on level plain the light goes off... is this correct?

Thanks

IZRSSS

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 05:31:23 PM »
Underhood light works fine...changed the angle, bent it up slightly.  The cutoff switch built into the light was never disengaged. Its the same for the trunk light. Pretty slick setup...
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 06:07:31 PM by IZRSSS »

sixt9x33rs

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2011, 03:31:50 AM »
That is exactly what I thought...it appears the fuse is in this, yet broken and or jammed,as one sode is open ended glass fuse?
Did you put a fuse in the holder or use the one shipped?
'69 RS Z/28 65B, 711 Flat hood no spoiler, endura, 4:10 43K miles
69 X77 Z/28 69 69 711 Original Paint Unrestored (Sold)
'69 X66 Convertible 69B 712 auto, (Sold) 44K miles

anything