Author Topic: Refinish 68 trunk  (Read 11960 times)

bbd564

• View Profile
Refinish 68 trunk
« on: April 28, 2006, 01:08:40 AM »
I have 2 68's one a std car and the other a deluxe interior RS Z.  The one with the deluxe interior and RS has an extra sound deadening mat in the floor of the trunk as well as extra undercoating sprayed on the insides of the quarter paner of the trunk.  The question is this at what point was the trunk sprayed with the spatter paint?  Prior to when the mat and the undercoating were appllied or were the undercoating and mat added after (on top of the spatter paint)? The car also has a trunk mat. 

The std car has a nice original never messed with trunk.  The deluxe interior RS car has been touched up.  Which leads to another question, which product best duplicates the original spatter paint?

Thank you for any help you can offer

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Refinish 68 trunk
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2006, 06:24:39 PM »
The trunk spatter paint was shot in the Paint Shop, at the same time as the firewall blackout, before the final bake oven; the trunk mat was installed after paint, in the Trim Shop. I'm not aware of any undercoating applied to the inside of the quarter panels in the trunk, but I'm not that familiar with 68's.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

bbd564

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2006, 12:42:14 PM »
OK. thanks for the input.  I will keep looking and post back what I find.

Pex68

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2006, 03:25:45 AM »
bbd,

My 68 SS also has the sound deading (or undercoating) on the inside walls of the quarters like yours.  I don't think it's undercoating because it's way too thick.  I seem to remember it was inside my doors also.  Spatter was applied over this.  I used GM spatter and was very pleased.
Chris P
1968 Sequoia Green SS 396/325 M20

bbd564

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2006, 12:59:31 AM »
Here's some info on  products for spraying the trunk to get the right finish:

http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/101799/page/0/fpart/1/vc/1

Buddy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2006, 01:39:35 PM »
I have a 67 march camaro. Is the original spatter paint black and white or does it have aqua in it? It looks black and white.

Thanx
Buddy

Buddy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2006, 01:41:17 PM »
Sorry...I meant grey and white.

::)

JWC

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2006, 06:40:19 PM »
I also have a '68 (with a deluxe interior) that has the undercoat-looking stuff on the inside of the remaining original quarter.  The other side was reskinned and whoever did it undercoated it to hide the seam.  Is there any more info on what may have been originally applied to the inside of the quarters?

bbd564

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2006, 08:10:54 PM »
JWC, does your car have a mat about 12" x 30" glued to the trunk floor.  I think it is some sort of sound deadening material?

Pex68

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2006, 01:24:10 AM »
Buddy,

My 12D 68 had Gray/White splatter, and that's what I put back in but everyone seems to have a different opinion of what was correct.  Car only had 57,xxx when I got her...
Chris P
1968 Sequoia Green SS 396/325 M20

JWC

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2006, 03:13:41 PM »
bbd564,

I faintly remember that when I first bought it (about 16 years ago), there appeared to be some remnants of a deadener or something similar in the trunk pan.  I took a quick look last night, and the pan is in pretty bad shape (rust, pinholes, etc) - I didn't see any evidence of a deadener, but I've done some grinding/sanding in there and probably removed whatever was there.  I'll have to see if I have some old pictures of the trunk.  I'll try to take some pics this weekend of whatever is sprayed on the inside of the remaining original quarter (and figure out how to post them).

JWC

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2006, 02:00:44 AM »
OK - it took me a day or two longer than I thought, but I finally took some pics.

The first pic is of the inside of the LH quarter panel, which is the only original quarter (the RH was reskinned sometime in the past).  It shows that there is something sprayed on the inside of it.  It's hard to see in the pic, but there are remnants of splatter paint on this "stuff", so my thinking is that it must have been applied prior to the splatter paint.  This "stuff" appears to be the same material (undercoating) in the rear wheelhouses.

The second pic shows what appears to be the remnants of some kind of deadener patch or similar material in the trunk just forward of the deepest part of the pan on the same wall as the spare tire hold-down bracket.  All that's left appears to be a plastic film (like a garbage bag) still stuck to the pan.

Like I stated in my earlier post, this is just the way I bought the car 16 years ago.  It's an 02D '68 with a deluxe (730) interior.