Author Topic: Paint color inside speedo housing  (Read 5709 times)

68Zproject

• View Profile
Paint color inside speedo housing
« on: May 28, 2010, 07:08:43 AM »
Anyone know or have a line on the paint that was used for the inside of the speedo and fuel housing?  It's kind of a blue green.  mine has some surface rust on it and will need to be redone.
68Z28

68Zproject

• View Profile
Re: Paint color inside speedo housing
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 03:16:27 AM »
Was it even paint?
68Z28

flyingskibiker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 01:27:27 AM »
Maybe you can bug one of the companies that do gauge restorations?  They probably handle the housings, too? 

My '68 only has the reaward facing/inner part of the metal gauge surround painted that color.  The large rear metal housing/carrier is white on the inside.  Both are black on the outside. 

Just babbling since I found it interesting...

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 12:02:24 AM »
Whatever this part is.  It's kind of nasty.  I think this is what gives the guages their kind of blue green look when the lights are on.

68Z28

flyingskibiker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 02:08:36 AM »
Right.  I have mine in hand.  That side is white.  The piece that mounts to the front of that (towards driver) is blue/green.  The one in your picture looks white like mine is.  So, I guess that was they way they came.  I, too, figured the blue/green was to give the gauges a blue/green hue when the dash lights are on.  Maybe the white is to give the two bulbs enough brightness?  The console gauges use blue/green plastic for the same hue type reason?

Anyway, sorry I can't help w/ the color.  It is a pretty odd one.  Not like one would find that in the paint section of most stores.  I wonder if a hobby shop would have something???  Yes, a auto paint store could/would match any color.  But personally, I don't have the spray gun...

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 02:54:10 AM »
I'm going to call the guy that rebuilt my temp gauge.  He's one of the best in the world I found out, and only 5 miles away.  The picture didn't turn out too well.  The part that looks white is actually that blue color.
68Z28

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 07:42:38 PM »
Just an update.  Called the above and was told "Rustoleum American Accents color Sea Glass."  Of course I can't find that anywhere and found that it is discontinued.  However, I was out and about and found a Krylon "Catalina Mist Satin".  I took it home and painted next to the original paint and I can't see a difference at all.  I think I found a winner.
68Z28

flyingskibiker

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2011, 03:13:01 AM »
Nice!

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2011, 05:22:45 AM »
When the paint dried it was a dead on match.  Color and sheen.  Wow I finally got lucky after striking out on the connectors for my speedo housing.  I better buy a lotto ticket.
68Z28