Author Topic: Does anything seem wrong with this auction?  (Read 9248 times)

sdkar

• View Profile
Does anything seem wrong with this auction?
« on: April 25, 2006, 07:49:29 PM »
Check out ebay auction # 8059805500.  Several things concern me.  First, it's a three day auction.  Second, the seller has a 0 feedback rating.  Finally, if you look at the seller's history, you will see he has sold the same exact subframe setup three times.  Three different auctions all with the exact same pic and different high bidders.  My concern is maybe the guy is collecting money only.  He said he would accept paypal, so am I protected if I never get the item?

any opinions are greatly appreciated.

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
Re: Does anything seem wrong with this auction?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2006, 08:20:43 PM »
You might ought to send a query to Ebay.   ???

The seller's answers to questions seems a little evasive...  ???

I assume you are bidding up to find the reserve?  It has three bids and they are all from you.

Since you have made a bid, why don't you ask a specific question and see what sort of reply you get?

I would definitely use PayPal and try to meet the 7 day money back to cover myself.

Hope this works out OK!

Phillip
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

dab67

• 67 SS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 12:03:58 AM »
Just for the heck of it, I asked the seller for the vin number, the cowl tag info and the number which he should be able to get under the front vent cowl below the passenger side window.I don't care if the car is an hour away from him, he should be able to get these numbers in a heart beat. If not, leave it go.

dab67

ogbean

• View Profile
    • MySpace
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2006, 02:35:22 AM »
Hmm... looks like a fraud to me... eBay says he has been a member for 2 years 1 month. And he has 0 feedback?.... somethin fishey
David

1968 L30 4spd ???, Rally Green, White Vinyl Top, Ivory Houndstooth Interior (716), D55 console, D91 Stripe

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2006, 09:00:57 PM »
I see you pulled out... probably wise!
I noted that there is now one feedback.  It is positive, but the item had nothing to do with cars, old or new.  It looks like some guy tried to sell a car using his wife's access to Ebay.
It will be interesting to see how it turns out....
« Last Edit: April 26, 2006, 09:03:56 PM by lakeholme »
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

My68SS

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2006, 02:30:55 PM »
It looks like some guy tried to sell a car using his wife's access to Ebay.
Other way round I'd say, his account - her auction on the previous sale.

Looks ok to me, lotta work to be done though! I tweaked the levels of some of the pics in photochop, from what I could see the interior sheet metal looked fine.

Finally, if you look at the seller's history, you will see he has sold the same exact subframe setup three times.  Three different auctions all with the exact same pic and different high bidders.  My concern is maybe the guy is collecting money only.
Found one of those through googles cache, reserve wasn't met which may be the case with the others.
Rob
1968 12C SS
L34/M40
12 bolt posi 3.55

sdkar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2006, 07:16:10 PM »
Okay,

I ended up buying the Camao.  I took a chance because everything else restorable was $12,000 and up.  The seller delivered the body to my house today.  Turns out it was a really good buy.  The work that was done was very nicely done and everything lines up almost perfect.  The car came with brand new asembled door panels, a Ron Francis wiring kit still in the box, and new carpet and a new gas tank.  The guy even threw in a couple of extra door that are really nice.  All of the seats, taillights, visors along with a few boxes of misc stuff that will be needed to put it back together.  To be honest, if the seller had better pics, was a little more clear on his answers to questions, and had a better feedback, the car would have sold for quite a bit more money. 

Overall, I think I got more then I expected and I am happy.  The body really only needs finish welding and skimming and I'm ready for the new suspension.

I know this is nothing important, but I felt it would be appropriate for the end of the post.

My68SS

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2006, 06:18:03 PM »
Hey good scoop!   :)
Would love to see the occassional pic of progress posted here.
Rob
1968 12C SS
L34/M40
12 bolt posi 3.55

anything